Front Side Resistance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I had mentioned this topic in a prior thread and was urged to put up a thread on it so here goes a very brief explanation.

There are four major points of resistance a pitchers body needs to achieve in order to transfer energy. Missing any of these four will result in a less than optimal performance. When you look at these pics and listen to the discussion it may sound "mechanical", but in an elite level pitcher these resistance points appear to be very smooth and seamless.....and relatively speaking they are.
Right now I am just posting pics of the Four Points......a discussion on each point will probably create a lot of discussion. I'm a little short of time right now, so I will add in as the discussion flows.

View attachment 4790 View attachment 4792 View attachment 4789 View attachment 4791

Attachments

• Hip Snap Firming.jpg
    Hip Snap Firming.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3,153
  • Landing Leg Resistance.jpg
    Landing Leg Resistance.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,018
  • Shoulder Rotation Firming.jpg
    Shoulder Rotation Firming.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,991
  • Upper Torso.jpg
    Upper Torso.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,979

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
*PLACE HOLDER*

We need some help with this thread...so, if you gals and guys can post examples and explanations about front side resistance, I would appreciate it.

"Front side resistance" refers to stopping the body at release as much as safely possible. Body movement after release needs to be minimized.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I think an important key to achieving good "front side resistance" begins with what the drag foot does.

You'll notice in all of Ken's photo examples above that each pitcher's thigh (with knee slightly bent) is oriented forward, roughly right down the "powerline". And shoe laces are also turned in a "forward facing" articulation of the ankle.

I think that this is essential to achieve the correct posture which helps realize good "front side resistance"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802