Front Shoulder Flying Open

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I have a player whose front shoulder flies open before contact. See the attached picture. My question is does anyone have a good drill that will keep the shoulder in? She pulls everything because she's over-rotated at the point of contact. Thanks!

Mike

R

RayR

I do think it is necessarily a shoulder flying out issue. Compare your hitter to Cullington from UMass and the other 2 D1 hitters (sorry do not know their names).

May 7, 2008
San Jose, CA
Mike,
I really do not see upper body spin in the picture you posted. I am wondering if she may not just be early on the ball and slowing her hands to make up for the early rotation. You being her coach would know better if this is the case, but I might start (based on the picture and the location of the ball) with location tee work and then practice the tracking of the ball from the pitcher to the contact point. I would work this drill by allowing the hitter to track the ball into her zone and trust her swing to take the bat through the zone. This can be a frustrating drill for some students as I do not necessarily worry about contact during the drill but instead stress the tracking side, but it has helped two of my students stop pulling the ball foul and drive it based on its location.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
MTS & Strikker

I guess it isn't a case of flying open and rather, as you said, being early. I'll have her start tracking - that sounds like a good drill. Thanks!

Mike

R

RayR

I guess it isn't a case of flying open and rather, as you said, being early. I'll have her start tracking - that sounds like a good drill. Thanks!

Mike

Mike, I also was trying to point out their posture compared to your players'. Check the shoulder levels. The 3 hitters I posted shoulders are all tilted towards the plate. This happens if a hitter starts out in a good athletic posture and rotates into the ball keeping that psoture as much as possible. (Think of a QB taking a snap from center as an example of good posture). Your player, I can only guess is a little too vertical at set up or comes out of a good posture by straightening up (Her shoulders are level to the ground). This can cause a "pulling off" or shoulder flying out issue, but it is really a posture issue.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Mts

I'll look at her posture again on video. I think you have something there. She hits high pitching extremely well (as do most hitters), probably for that very reason - you need less tilt toward the ball when the ball is higher in the strikezone, therefore, unintentionally, she's stronger to the ball. I really appreciate the advice.

Mike

R

RayR

Absoutely.

The low pitch is something she probably drives into the ground, slices through or maybe even looks at knowing she cannot hit that pitch.

I try to preach posture by using this example:

The strike zone starts at your knees and most umps love that pitch. If you are too erect/vertical, your hands/bat are at the absolute furthest away you can get from hitting that pitch with authority. Why not get into an athletic position (around here CT - everyone know who Big Papi is so I use that example) and this way you are closer to that pitch and you have made your strike zone smaller.

I do not go into much detail about how you are in a better position to use your body rotate to because you are engaging more muscles, etc.

This seems to make sense for most kids.

Work on hitting to right field...This forces the player to let the ball get further in and may help on the timing. Watch the front front on the stride/load. Make sure it is not turning too soon (causing the front should to follow). Usually causes the hands to drop and a long looping swing.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Mts

You're right about the low-pitch ground balls. As strong as she is, she gets away with it sometimes, but I'm inclined to believe that it really is her posture based on the things I'm reading. I'm going to video her this week and see if that's the problem. Thanks!

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802