Front Shoulder Flying Open

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
MagicMove

We use the Candrea school of thought for hitting, not exclusively, but we use a lot of his principles in hitting, and we've been an extremely successful hitting team. It looks like a difference in what we teach and what you're saying is in the initial stance. We teach our girls, basically, to stand upright with a slight bend at the waist and with the knees unlocked (rather than bent), ala Candrea. Is this something we should consider modifying? Just because I like explanations for our batters, does the "sit" have to do with zone coverage from top to bottom? I understand clearing the back hip, and we don't have trouble with that in our hitters, but we do struggle occassionally with low pitching. We play a great team every year in high school that lives with low pitches exclusively. They'd rather have us beat balls into the dirt and make us beat their defense. Would modifying in this way give us a little more success against them? Thanks.

Mike

May 12, 2008
I do think it is necessarily a shoulder flying out issue. Compare your hitter to Cullington from UMass and the other 2 D1 hitters (sorry do not know their names).

Good video work. I'm taking this thread post by post so forgive me if I cover something already covered but look at the left hand still of the three. Notice how close the hitter's lead arm is to her chest at contact and notice how this young hitter's lead arm is so far out in front and the ball is still a frame from contact.

May 12, 2008
I guess it isn't a case of flying open and rather, as you said, being early. I'll have her start tracking - that sounds like a good drill. Thanks!

Mike

Yeah, let the ball come deep. Set the tee up deep and figure out how to drive the ball with the tee deep.

May 12, 2008
Mike, I also was trying to point out their posture compared to your players'. Check the shoulder levels. The 3 hitters I posted shoulders are all tilted towards the plate. This happens if a hitter starts out in a good athletic posture and rotates into the ball keeping that psoture as much as possible. (Think of a QB taking a snap from center as an example of good posture). Your player, I can only guess is a little too vertical at set up or comes out of a good posture by straightening up (Her shoulders are level to the ground). This can cause a "pulling off" or shoulder flying out issue, but it is really a posture issue.

#$%^ good post!

May 12, 2008
Work on hitting to right field...This forces the player to let the ball get further in and may help on the timing. Watch the front front on the stride/load. Make sure it is not turning too soon (causing the front should to follow). Usually causes the hands to drop and a long looping swing.

YES! Typical pattern is fan open the front knee, flatten the bat and lead with the top hand elbow. Yeah, let it come deep. When working on hitting to right field make sure she's not disconnecting and pushing it to right field by making the goal DRIVING it to right field. Another @#$@ good post.

May 12, 2008
We use the Candrea school of thought for hitting, not exclusively, but we use a lot of his principles in hitting, and we've been an extremely successful hitting team. It looks like a difference in what we teach and what you're saying is in the initial stance. We teach our girls, basically, to stand upright with a slight bend at the waist and with the knees unlocked (rather than bent), ala Candrea. Is this something we should consider modifying? Just because I like explanations for our batters, does the "sit" have to do with zone coverage from top to bottom? I understand clearing the back hip, and we don't have trouble with that in our hitters, but we do struggle occassionally with low pitching. We play a great team every year in high school that lives with low pitches exclusively. They'd rather have us beat balls into the dirt and make us beat their defense. Would modifying in this way give us a little more success against them? Thanks.

Mike

Analysis See one through eight.

May 12, 2008
Pujols4.gif

Now, before you say...."yeah, but, I see him tilt over the plate after the sit"....make sure you understand what that move is. Again that is not tilt. Tilt is simply bend at the waist over the plate. .

Bend over the waist at the plate-tilt over the plate at the waist-whatever. His swing plane is approximately parallel to his shoulder rotation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812