Front leg issue in swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2008
I agree with Straightleg. BUT - doing a drill is typically a LOT slower than a game swing. One thing to not get "hung up" on when doing this drill is the back foot, which will do more of a pivot up onto the toe. Remember - you are working on the hip turn and firm front side. The back foot is more or less a "no-teach", and if the weight shift and rotation are correct, it will take care of itself. Just make sure she isn't "spinning" - rotating on the front heel and back toe.

Make sure she is balanced to begin with - Feet spaced as Straightleg said, about 1.5 times the shoulder width, a good athletic stance, knees slightly bent, slightly tilted forward at the waist (toward the plate). I like to describe this as the way you would look when playing defense in basketball, or getting ready to jump. If she is balanced, you should be able to lightly push her with your hand from any side, and she won't tip too far. IMO, a slightly wider stance is better than a narrow one.

Have your daughter get into this basic athletic stance. Then have her cradle her bat in her elbows behind her back as Straightleg said. With her toes on both feet pointing straight forward, have her quickly turn her hips to face her belly button towards the pitcher. If she tries to keep the front foot planted, it will roll up onto the outside edge (little toe side) - and I guarantee her leg will straighten. Doing this as a drill will give her the feel of the balance. Then gradually have her add the load and stride. Stop occasionally at toe touch to check her balance. Some hitters will even try to stride "pigeon toed" for a while to prevent opening the front side. After they get the feel, they gradually fall into roughly a 45 degree angle with the front foot at toe touch. Remember - it's OK for the foot to open slightly as long as the hips don't start rotating before a heel plant.

Look at the clip of Benji as she loads. Watch the slight inward turn of the front foot. Then as she strides, notice how she is STILL balanced JUST before she actually swings. As she turns her hips, watch the front foot and leg. Have your daughter emulate this type of load and stride.

The key to this is being balanced at toe touch, just as the front heel plants and the hips start turning. If she's leaning too far forward, the front leg will probably stay bent. Too far back, and she won't get a good weight transfer into rotation, robbing her of power. Again, watch Caitlin Benji's swing. She has excellent timing, keeps the hips closed, then really explodes into the ball.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
The back foot is more or less a "no-teach", and if the weight shift and rotation are correct, it will take care of itself. Just make sure she isn't "spinning" - rotating on the front heel and back toe.

Buster.
Rear foot
That is what the back concrete block is for. Instant feedback
Cant squish.

Straightleg

Nov 21, 2008
Quote:
"Have her cradle her bat in her elbows behind her back as Straightleg said."ECT...

I like this drill but with one variation. I have the batter press the bat against the front of the hips with her hands. The reason is IMO, that having the bat behind the back forces the batter to over rotate the hips. At contact the bat should be even with the hips or slightly ahead, not behind the back. Once the hips over rotate to meet the ball on the tee it seems to throw everything out of whack. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
The front leg is firm if you don't leak forward through contact.The front leg stiffens at and through contact because the hips turn through that point.At the end of the swing the knee must again be bent to get through the ball.

Aug 21, 2008
Update

Wanted to let you know that the drills described in this post were excellent.

We spent a lot of time focusing on the lower half of the swing and the front leg issue improved tremendously.

It is interesting how everything is interconnected. The top half of the swing was also changed (unintentionally) with her somehow leveling out her swing to be almost parallel to the ground which caused her to really struggle hitting this last month (very rarely even making contact with the ball). I took some video of her two weekends ago to show her that she was now swinging level and then sat her down to watch some of the videos that this group has linked to previous posts showing the bat plane.

We went to the batting cage last night and she focused on changing the bat plane. I can honestly say that she was hitting the ball harder then I have ever seen her hit. The best news: her front leg was firm which explains the increased power. Hopefully, with some repetition, this will become her new swing.

A sincere thanks to all the feedback and information.

Dec 6, 2008
Can someone assist in helping me to correct a front leg issue?

I attach two pics showing the front knee remaining bent. Normally the front leg does not become firm. Everything I have read about hitting identifies that the front leg should be firm upon connection with the ball.

I would like to tackle the leg issue only as my daughter is a solid hitter with good mechanics in her upper body. I believe that if this can be addressed, she can add some distance to her hits.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, particularly if someone knows of any tee drills to help correct this. Thanks!
on the one picture look at the location of the ball. If her leg were straight or locked out how would she get to this ball to drive it?

Aug 6, 2008
Without seeing several full body swings, it's hard to see what's really going on. It's difficult to tell if this was actually a "good pitch to hit". Looks to me like it was low and inside from her bat angle, and if it was a very fast pitch, she simply might have been fooled with her timing. I've seen MANY really ugly swings from major league baseball players that were fooled. So it's not such a big deal.

Lots of practice getting to the "toe touch" position with proper timing will help tremendously. Watch some clips from Siggy's web site. She MUST be at toe touch, ready to drop the front heel and start rotation as the pitcher is releasing the ball. Getting there too early, you'll see a "hitch" or pause which can mess her up. Getting there late might give the result you see in the picture you posted.

Practicing varying upper body tilt, combined with timing wrist release, will help getting the bat on the ball. It's all about hand path. Disconnection, which is pushing the hands/arms ahead of, or letting them drag behind the shoulder/body rotation, or extending the arms to reach an outside (or low) pitch, will guarantee a big loss in power.

kgertie - You are absolutely correct that the upper and lower parts are connected, and if either one is not working properly, the other suffers. Sounds like you are making some good progress. Keep up the good work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478