From 10u to 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
DD is 11 and moving up to 12u. Of course with that comes the bigger ball size. She has some experience this past LL season with the 12” ball on her majors team and our cage time. She was also playing on her 10u TB team during that time with the 11” ball of course. Using the same bat for both balls(2018 LXT 30/20)

The difference in hitting performance was night and day. Rockets with the 11” ball, and a lot of flubbers with the 12”. It’ll be nice now to only be using the 12” ball from here on out.

My question is how long did it take your DD to adjust to the bigger ball?

My DD is kinda going through the growth spurt right now, strength is expected to come with that I know. I have a lot of video i take of her at bats, you can see how the 12” ball changes the trajectory of the bat once contact is made. I chalk it up to her expecting the same result as hitting a 11” ball but getting a totally different feel once contact is made.

Throwing wise, she’s become more accurate and stronger throws over the past 6 months with the 12” ball.

I am in the market for a new bat but that’s a whole different thread 🤪. I sometimes feel she has already outgrown the 30/20. She’s barely had it 9 months.

So, any tips or info on what you folks have done to make the adjustment?
Honestly I don’t remember any issues with the change in ball size hitting wise. Bigger ball, bigger target, easier to hit.
Throwing/pitching took a little getting used to but that was pretty much it.

Feb 3, 2016
Zero issues when my kid started throwing and hitting a 12" ball at 9. 11.5" glove to 12.75". She never hit a 11" ball at batting practice at our house since 7.5.

So this is cool!
I'm currently coaching a 9 year old girl who's Mom wanted her on our 14u team. Writing a check like all the other parents because of coaching we provide. (However we won't keep her check)
We no problems with her 9 year old at practice because she listens and works.
Extremely coachable with only one bad habit to fix.
Only took a few minutes of instruction for her to throw the 12" ball with the correct form. Repetition, repetition, repetition.
Don't worry I'm not ever going to put that kid on the infield this Fall as she's fearless and will get in front of that ball.
Probably some pool play action deep in left field.

She works her butt off and will dominate on whatever age appropriate team she ends up on in the future.

Truly nothing better than a kid with no real bad habits, that loves the game of softball, and is coachable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee