Free Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Fairly good example of the differences between free hands ("down to") vs turning the barrel.

33qKjFe.gif

dWQ7Vfr.gif

Akyrtah.gif

2odegNl.gif

Oct 2, 2017
What if you are no stride and don't lift the front foot?
Just because one is a no stride doesn't mean that there isn't UFA's happening to cause them to start to shift. So in a sense they have the same feeling of lifting the front foot based on their UFA. IMO

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Just because one is a no stride doesn't mean that there isn't a shift happening.

I am sure the Lauren Chamberlain gif shows it better. I agree, i just here more people referencing a stride move vs no stride. Just trying to figure out how to apply it to DD. She is working a no stride, and when i thought she was close tried to go back to a stride, and she hated it. So we are stuck somewhere in between. Wrong thread for this, so wont continue, will start another thread if needed. thanks.

Oct 2, 2017
I am sure the Lauren Chamberlain gif shows it better. I agree, i just here more people referencing a stride move vs no stride. Just trying to figure out how to apply it to DD. She is working a no stride, and when i thought she was close tried to go back to a stride, and she hated it. So we are stuck somewhere in between. Wrong thread for this, so wont continue, will start another thread if needed. thanks.

I edited my comment so maybe it might be a little clear what I was saying.

Just because one is a no stride doesn't mean that there isn't UFA's happening to cause them to start to shift. So in a sense they have the same feeling of lifting the front foot based on their UFA. IMO

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Don't mistake free with slop.. Free allows the hands to seek a pivot point to barrel up the ball.

qrNpIYv.gif

Qq5Q22z.gif

Ihwjoah.gif
I like the Miggy gifs (along with the six block side by side) as it shows IMO that he moves out the same and starts the hands to stretch to a similar position each time until just before 'launch' (my def of launch is the first 'forward' move to the ball - not a release of the barrel) where he then chooses to pull the bat up a little more on the up pitch or start forward earlier on the low inside pitch. If you are locked in a position, you will be theoretically high on the low pitches and low on the high pitches depending on the start point. This is something i think my DD def needs to learn to not be so mechanical and rigid. Allow the athleticism to come thru. Miggy is so strong though and gets that barrel thru quick.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I edited my comment so maybe it might be a little clear what I was saying.

Ok, thanks. I am actually trying to have my DD eliminate the 'feel' in her front leg on her no stride move out. And only start 'pressure' on the front when she wants to swing, otherwise continue to 'get into' front leg on something like a change. I like the no stride for the fact the front foot is already on the ground to allow for quick transition from move to swing. At least that's what i think now. Until i find out that doesn't work then i will change my mind to something else. haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802