Free Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Might not apply to this thread, but this is the problem that I could not solve when researching HLP. 1 - Where is the upper going rearward while the lower is going forward. I believe that was called hip slip. 2- How does the hands pass through the path in the clip below if the first move is to send the barrel rearward and not bleed the "corner". This by the HLP method from my research is supposed to be completely behind the rear hip.

I am sure pitch location plays a role.

Jun 8, 2016
You cannot teach anybody to be Einstein but there are multiple ways to teach people to be better at Math and Physics. Some people do better with one way of learning vs. another and all learners need to understand how THEY learn best in order to be able to succeed. No difference in hitting imo. That is the biggest takeaway I get from the pros talking about what they do..they themselves have a feeling for what they need to do in order to succeed. That said, anybody who claims to understand why a HOF did as well they did is fooling themselves...as @Work=wins said there are so many things that go into it. Nobody claims to understand why Einstein was able to think through problems the way he did, not sure why hitting is any different.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
no 2 hitters look the same.

THATS BECAUSE ... Hitting is not a system of mechanics. it’s truly not. It has a lot to do w approach. Timing. Discipline. confidence. athleticism. Balance. vision. pitch recognition. Anticipation. Quickness. Recall. And I’m sure a few others.

The post above is good. It's a shame we can't focus on these things instead of all the agenda based nonsense. Hope you all are doing well!

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
no 2 hitters look the same.

THATS BECAUSE ... Hitting is not a system of mechanics. it’s truly not. It has a lot to do w approach. Timing. Discipline. confidence. athleticism. Balance. vision. pitch recognition. Anticipation. Quickness. Recall. And I’m sure a few others.

you can’t teach everyone to do the same thing. it’s a crock Mike. Teach rhythm and timing, balance, approach and how to be short to the ball. Those go a long way. It’s a balanced chain to react from. not much more.

i totally agree with this statement. As the students progresses the rhythm and momentum is added back in to their swing but this is never seen or noticed. He says exactly that here.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
so Kingery knew what he was doing and still failed miserably? Is that the story? Bc I’m saying that the HLP disclaimer is that it takes ‘YEARS’ to learn. Is it not true? Or is it? The guru says it’s easy. Others say it’s a process. We would all like to know which it is? A great athlete like Kingery knew it, and failed? or didn’t quite get it so he failed? I’m sure folks that are interested in the HLP pattern are eager to know how long it’s gonna take for their kid to be consistent in the box. Since you’ve been at it for 6 years, Think you can shed some light on the matter?

or is just plainly, if you hit well with it. You learned it. If you don’t hit well, you’re doing it wrong? Sounds like a great way to never take any responsibility for anything that goes wrong, right?

The only answer I can give is of my own experience with learning and teaching the HLP. Sorry i have no other information.

I only started sharing because of the misunderstanding I had learning this swing and if I can help others. I knew Richard was not popular by many and I’d get called out but honestly that never happened and I view W & TDS as friends and resources

The things that made sene to me was with other swing being taught, we were always trying to stop something; lunging , dropping hands, shoulder rotation, pushing the arms. The biggest two , was being able to hit speed and the outside pitch. I was searching for a swing to teach and five frame gave me a few on line lessons. I searched several others too.

Why HLP ? As I was searching, I was helping get one of my players recruited. I was able to get the assistant coach from Oregon to come and see her play. He made one comment to me that stuck…. “ She has to be able to hit 68 MPH”

The learning curve of this way is probably the same as any other way of teaching a swing. I will say that Haley’s learning curve was quicker than Chloe because of how much I have learned about teaching this way. I’m sure anyone that teaches or coaches will understand the learning curve of teaching a new subject. The reason I started posting. Now, I’m posting Kayden’s journey and she’s really young and inexperienced.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Might not apply to this thread, but this is the problem that I could not solve when researching HLP. 1 - Where is the upper going rearward while the lower is going forward. I believe that was called hip slip. 2- How does the hands pass through the path in the clip below if the first move is to send the barrel rearward and not bleed the "corner". This by the HLP method from my research is supposed to be completely behind the rear hip.

I am sure pitch location plays a role.

that’s not hip slip and he’s not using HLP. If I remember our breakup was over “the on and around “ I was sharing with you and Alllie. Hip slip requires you weight to be over the hip and then swing the barrel rearward with the “on and around “ his hand are pushing forward as he turns the barrel. On second thought, he might very well apply HLP principals but is so early to the ball he’s breaking down mechanically? I can only comment on what I see in this clip. BTW this is why most fail or struggle the HLP in the box. The swing is so quick and void of slop most are too early to the contact point, things breakdown.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
If you are going to teach hitting I think it’s very important to focus on timing and rhythm first. Focus on stride control and balance. Whether you teach it HLP way or you teach it two legged IMO doesn’t matter. The hitter will figure it out. As a hitting coach if you can’t teach timing your hitters are gonna struggle.

Oct 2, 2017
that’s not hip slip and he’s not using HLP

Correct, You may have just misunderstood what I was saying. I could not find those things (hip Slip etc.) when viewing MLB swings and also with the majority of Fastpitch swings I could find, but yet HLP and those who teach were saying that is what they are doing. I couldn't reconcile it personally. Not saying by any means HLP doesn't work.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
If you are going to teach hitting I think it’s very important to focus on timing and rhythm first. Focus on stride control and balance. Whether you teach it HLP way or you teach it two legged IMO doesn’t matter. The hitter will figure it out. As a hitting coach if you can’t teach timing your hitters are gonna struggle.

you are spot on and yes this is why the one legged swing is my go to swing. It checks the boxes you mentioned. Thanks

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Correct, You may have just misunderstood what I was saying. I could not find those things (hip Slip etc.) when viewing MLB swings and also with the majority of Fastpitch swings I could find, but yet HLP and those who teach were saying that is what they are doing. I couldn't reconcile it personally. Not saying by any means HLP doesn't work.

good point , it’s hard to see from a hinged posture. I have some hitting later I’ll try and video an example to share.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee