Freddie Freeman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Would you consider Freeman a no stride hitter. I believe the pre stride is just a superficial toe tap.. the good stuff happens after that

May 12, 2016

His tap seems to be reactive to his gather. So technically it is a stride. The weight gets back and the front foot lifts.

But then he drops it, and then shifts. What I refer to as a false stride. His tap is in preparation of striding, not the stride itself. Much more evident in the video I posted

False Stride(foot has already been lifted and dropped), com not shifted forward, gathered into back hip

No stride and com shift occurs here, typically same position has someone who strides gets to

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

This would be a no stride.

Here’s another

Foot doesn’t leave the ground. The stance width stays the same until contact. That would ‘TECHNICALLY’ be a no stride.

Ohtani and Granderson imo have preset strides. These aren’t no stride swings.

It’s as simple as does he pick up his foot or not? Does it really matter what you label them?

Whatever gets you FYB on time with slack out of the upper and lower ..

May 12, 2016

This would be a no stride.

Here’s another

Foot doesn’t leave the ground. The stance width stays the same until contact. That would ‘TECHNICALLY’ be a no stride.

Ohtani and Granderson imo have preset strides. These aren’t no stride swings.

It’s as simple as does he pick up his foot or not? Does it really matter what you label them?

Whatever gets you FYB on time with slack out of the upper and lower ..

Of course it matters when you are talking about no stride vs stride.. and it's not simple as picking your foot up. One of the most misunderstood concepts about striding is simply sticking your foot out to increase distance between front foot and back side. That is not the proper way to stride. In the video I posted, Freeman simply picks his foot up during the gather and lays it back down again without any body progression forward. IMO, That's not striding, that's a pre body movement to allow him to get in position for his no stride swing which occurs after.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Of course it matters when you are talking about no stride vs stride.. and it's not simple as picking your foot up. One of the most misunderstood concepts about striding is simply sticking your foot out to increase distance between front foot and back side. That is not the proper way to stride. In the video I posted, Freeman simply picks his foot up during the gather and lays it back down again without any body progression forward. IMO, That's not striding, that's a pre body movement to allow him to get in position for his no stride swing which occurs after.

Is this a no stride? Weight obviously shifts during his front foot pick up.

I think Freddie has a small stride. Jmo.

May 12, 2016

Is this a no stride? Weight obviously shifts during his front foot pick up.

I think Freddie has a small stride. Jmo.

Is this a stride?

Typically during a stride a hitter shifts their weight while coiling forward into heel plant, Freeman is most certainly not doing that here, as a matter of fact he gets onto front toe again and plants his heel after the false stride. The stride Freeman does in this video is what we teach our kids not to do. However Freeman does the correct sequence following this pre sequence movement with a no stride sequence.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802