Freak Accident & A Basket Case DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
DD playing SS and her best friend playing 1st base. Usually the other way around but the coach switched them up for some reason on this night. DD fielded a ball and threw a laser to first. First baseman catches the ball for the out and runs for the dugout. Upon arriving at the dugout she takes her glove off and says coach look at my thumb. Compound fracture of her glove hand thumb! Bone sticking out, the whole deal.:eek: My DD runs over to see what going on as parents are called to the dugout and an ambulance is called. My DD thinks it is all her fault, crying, throwing up, just a total wreck. Coach tries to get her to play but DD asks to sit out.

Good news is after spending the night up in the hospital with her friend my DD is a lot better now and she is coping with it well but man was she out of it with grief. I have never seen anything like that and even the doctors said it is incredibly rare on the glove hand. After 2 pins she will be out for 6 weeks and then back at it. She is still traveling with the team which has also helped my DD deal with it. What a freak deal!!

Oct 19, 2009
Never heard of anything like that from catching a throw. Did it turn out the girl has a bone condition?

Feb 9, 2009
My sons best friend broke his catcher's thumb..but the pitch was going 92 MPH...

I'm SO glad I haven't had to deal with broken bones yet...

May 25, 2010
I'm glad your daughter and her friend are going to be ok.

Sounds cliché, but in order to do right by herself, her friend, and the rest of the team, she's got to keep playing with the same degree of competitiveness as she always has. It'll be tempting to try to 'soften' her effort a bit, but she's got to play through that and remain an asset to her team.

They suck, but accidents are a part of the game and the good news is that her friend's thumb will actually be stronger than before once she returns to action. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I haven't seen this either.

Was the glove worn out or too small? Most infielders use a different sized glove at SS than they would at first.

How old are the girls? Good luck and best wishes to both of them.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I had a rec coach a few years back that threw a ball to 2B, girl broke her thumb
on glove hand. He felt terrible, girl was ok with it, missed 6 weeks but did have a bone condition
amongst other things. Now, 3 years later, she continues to play and is becoming a pretty good ball player.
She has not yet made it thru a full season of rec without a health issue though. She wants to play travel,
I advised against it

May 11, 2009
Sorry I have been out for awhile with flooding issues here.
My DD has really gotten back on the horse well and is throwing hard all over the place when she is not pitching. Our first basemen has been to every game cheering them on.
Amy,
She was wearing a first base mitt but it seemed a little loose. It was really weird!! I hope to never have anything like that happen again. It was really scary for my DD and she felt terrible.
Thanks all!!
Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2