Forward lean at release struggles.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
For me, the first things to look at would be....

#1: Is she reaching with her shoulders/upper half or is she getting the stride knee up and out so the hips can get underneath the shoulders?
#2: How is the stride leg landing so it can become the brake (leverage) for the FSR? Bent or straight?
#3: Core usage. This is tough at the younger ages because their core is soft since it's stretching and growing.

Things that worked for my DD.......
#1. Took video for her to look at. She could never feel herself leaning, so we had to show her. (A mirror also works, we just never ended up getting one).
#2. Her PC had us take a pool noodle and slip it over a toilet plunger so it stood vertical at her toe touch spot. If she leaned forward she'd bump into the noodle.
#3. Balance beam. This fixed a couple issues. But "usually", with lean comes imbalance. This is a great instant consequence tool. If DD wasn't balanced or was leaning, she'd have to step off after release. The goal was to be balanced and tall at release. Not leaning or bending forward.

Apr 14, 2022
I got this from Facebook comment but it worked.
Push her in the back. She will auto put her weight back in anticipation.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I did not brow beat DD during games but for pitching and hitting I usually mentioned to 'stay tall' before her games. If she was under a lot of stress her mechanics could break down.

Jun 22, 2019
My daughters pitching coach always says ”nose behind belly button”.

She was collapsing on her front leg until she got stronger. When she started weight training her speed went up significantly and I think much of that was due to her staying back and stopped collapsing the front leg.

It may not be the same issue for your girl, but you might try some squats/burpees to see if a few weeks of that helps.

Sep 13, 2021
Getting her stride leg knee up during the reach may help, by forcing her upper body to straighten.

It's a process. My daughter is 12, and it has taken her months to make certain adjustments, which, to both me and her seemed simple and easy to make, namely keeping her drive leg foot straight, as opposed to turning and collapsing.

Some of this may be due to lack of or imbalances in strength. It takes a decent amount of core strength and coordination to maintain posture during a complicated set of dynamic movements.

One of the things that really helped my daughter is videoing every practice session, drills included, with her phone, and then watching the videos back to see what she did right and wrong. We'd video 10 or so reps at a time, so she'd be able to watch and then correct.

Good luck!

Aug 3, 2022
If she's new to pitching, then i would assume she is struggling with more than just the lean. I would recommend that the lean be addressed later. For new pitchers, i would recommend you focus on building a good snap, staying on the powerline and driving with her legs. Without these three, having good posture means nothing. Plus, I find that when they learn to "drive" properly, the momentum of the drive naturally forces their torso to go back. Its helps them to feel the moment when they have to straighten up. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Check this please, does she maintain drive into the front leg? Does the drive leg drag stop to soon or does it continue forward into release?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28