Forward lean at release struggles.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
Have been working on this issue with my DD. Read about a hundred threads on here about it, have tried several different things. Two things seem to have worked the best pitching down a hill which was mentioned on here by Riseball, and having her pitch from the k position while I put my hand on her head and not allow it to go forward. It is not fixed yet by any means, but last night was the best she has done since we started trying to correct it. IMO The biggest reason it is so hard getting young girls to correct an unwanted body movement is the lack of body awareness, so you have to make them do something that forces them to do the desired movement.

May 13, 2021
Can you share the post from Riseball about pitching down a hill?

Jan 6, 2018
Have been working on this issue with my DD. Read about a hundred threads on here about it, have tried several different things. Two things seem to have worked the best pitching down a hill which was mentioned on here by Riseball, and having her pitch from the k position while I put my hand on her head and not allow it to go forward. It is not fixed yet by any means, but last night was the best she has done since we started trying to correct it. IMO The biggest reason it is so hard getting young girls to correct an unwanted body movement is the lack of body awareness, so you have to make them do something that forces them to do the desired movement.

This is spot on. Video/mirrors/phone or ipad, and all the bands/balls/noodles/strings - all help girls see/feel what they are doing. "Telling" girls they are doing anything wrong is so much less effective than finding a way to "show" them! The trick is finding out which one sparks the "aha" moment!

One trick I use with the girls who lean forward is a Chinese jump rope across the cage at just the right spot to get them to stay back.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
IMO The biggest reason it is so hard getting young girls to correct an unwanted body movement is the lack of body awareness, so you have to make them do something that forces them to do the desired movement.
Java said this to my DD years ago and I still use it with her (Jr. in College)... "Control your body, control your pitch". Easier said than done. ;-)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter's pitching trainer grabs her by the shirt and keeps tension on her as she goes through her motion. My daughter hates it, but it is highly effective.

Jun 20, 2015
pitching coach used to have me stand on either side of pitching lane with a foam pool noodle arched across in front of my DD pitching. no damage if she leaned forward, and gave her instant correction.

pitching down the hill basically forces them to emphasize pushing back off that front foot, versus collapsing forward.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I don't know much about fastpitch pitching, but I know a lot about baseball pitching and some of the issues are the same, so with that...

I would guess that she is not turning/coiling her hip backwards as she goes forward, and/or she is not landing on a bent front leg. If so, all the other tricks wont help unless you fix this. Ex. the noodle will tell her she has a problem, but not how to fix. Her problems happen before landing.

Video from the side would be a start.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
I would very much agree that young players have issues with body awareness. Using items like pool noodles, etc. can certainly help. Two things I would add.
1) Video her doing this so she can see what she is doing and she can also see when she does it correctly and possibly "feel" the difference.
2) My daughter leaned forward as well. Once I started taking her to a highly qualified PC, she was able to fix it in a few lessons. She would tell my daughter to stay "stacked" or "keep your box". Meaning to keep her shoulders over (or stacked) her knees. Doing this also make the shape of a "box" with knees and shoulders each making a corner of the box. It took about 2 lessons to correct her leaning. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802