Forearm Hitting Hip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
First thing I always look at is the front foot. Are the toes pointing straight? This makes the hips "close" too soon and arm can whack the hips. Turn the toes 45 degrees (or more) and the hips magically stay open. No idea if this is the young lady's problem, it's just the first thing I look for.

Bill

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
First thing I always look at is the front foot. Are the toes pointing straight? This makes the hips "close" too soon and arm can whack the hips. Turn the toes 45 degrees (or more) and the hips magically stay open. No idea if this is the young lady's problem, it's just the first thing I look for.

Bill

We'll add some foot turn. I hope it's that simple. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2012
This is a new one for me. I have a 14U pitcher with good mechanics, she throws 51-54 with her fastball. She has started to hit her hip with her upper forearm to the point where I am becoming concerned. Right now it's barely tolerable, her arm gets very red and she says there is a little discomfort. Her hips don't look like they have closed up too much and her elbow has a reasonable amount of flex to it so I'm thinking that she is IR-ing early and this causes the contact. She can get around it by forcing her hips to stay open but it throws her motion out of whack.
Just be careful! My daughter started hitting her forearm as well when she was a freshman in HS. She ended up with a stress fracture in the ulna bone and was in and out of pitching for the next couple of years. Luckily, it didn't keep her from fully recovering and playing first and outfield.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Just be careful! My daughter started hitting her forearm as well when she was a freshman in HS. She ended up with a stress fracture in the ulna bone and was in and out of pitching for the next couple of years. Luckily, it didn't keep her from fully recovering and playing first and outfield.
Thanks, we are not taking it lightly.

Nov 18, 2015

Bill
Bill,

What would you consider the limit of "or more" as far as turning the foot/toes? I've seen some instructors that seem to be fine with the foot at 90 degs - the foot is sideways to home plate at landing. IMO, this is just asking for a knee injury due to the sideways stress on the knee joint. I know no one (hopefully?) is going to run out to the pitching circle with a protractor and measure, but is it accurate to say the goal should be to have the foot be "around" 45 degrees?

Thanks.

Nov 8, 2018
Bill,

What would you consider the limit of "or more" as far as turning the foot/toes? I've seen some instructors that seem to be fine with the foot at 90 degs - the foot is sideways to home plate at landing. IMO, this is just asking for a knee injury due to the sideways stress on the knee joint. I know no one (hopefully?) is going to run out to the pitching circle with a protractor and measure, but is it accurate to say the goal should be to have the foot be "around" 45 degrees?

Thanks.

I’m not Bill however common practice is 45-60. More than 60 closed is at that tipping point for injury to the knee. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I want to update this thread. She came to practice a couple of days ago and hitting the hip just stopped. She doesn't know why. We had talked about and maybe something 'clicked'.

Aug 21, 2008
Gags, Yes. 90 is much too far. I realize the standard answer is 45 but, it really only needs to be as far as needed to get the hips turned and back shoulder hidden from the catcher. As pitchers get better and better, that 45 degrees is cut down a bit more but those other 2 keys are still in place.

Bill

Nov 8, 2018
I want to update this thread. She came to practice a couple of days ago and hitting the hip just stopped. She doesn't know why. We had talked about and maybe something 'clicked'.

Amazing how that happens. Who knows her internal consciousness maybe just figured it out. Good for her however.
My DD only hits her hip when she rushes thru ir a s doesn’t stop her upper arm. She hits her leg when her arm has no bend at release.
She now understands that so when it happens she can self correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802