Forearm Hitting Hip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
This is a new one for me. I have a 14U pitcher with good mechanics, she throws 51-54 with her fastball. She has started to hit her hip with her upper forearm to the point where I am becoming concerned. Right now it's barely tolerable, her arm gets very red and she says there is a little discomfort. Her hips don't look like they have closed up too much and her elbow has a reasonable amount of flex to it so I'm thinking that she is IR-ing early and this causes the contact. She can get around it by forcing her hips to stay open but it throws her motion out of whack.

May 16, 2019
not always the fix, but on her arm swing over the top try and have her touch her bicep to her ear. The further away the arm is from the ear going over the top of the circle the arm will be behind the hip coming around the bottom of the circle.

Another suggestion especially if she is a former hello elbow pitcher. Check to see if she is turning the ball rearward at the top of the circle. She will usually will have a nice elbow bend but IR will not be correct at the bottom. Video would help I'm just guessing so please if I'm going the wrong way sorry.

Jan 28, 2017
This is a new one for me. I have a 14U pitcher with good mechanics, she throws 51-54 with her fastball. She has started to hit her hip with her upper forearm to the point where I am becoming concerned. Right now it's barely tolerable, her arm gets very red and she says there is a little discomfort. Her hips don't look like they have closed up too much and her elbow has a reasonable amount of flex to it so I'm thinking that she is IR-ing early and this causes the contact. She can get around it by forcing her hips to stay open but it throws her motion out of whack.

Check to see if she is bringing the ball over her head towards 1st base or closing to throw harder are the normal issues. DD did this a while ago and we had to really study slow motion video to even see it. With my DD she would barely close at the last second to throw harder it seemed.

Jul 31, 2019
To create good arm whip the elbow bends on the way down through the arm circle, but at brush, the elbow must be straight when the ball gets to 6:00. Assuming your pitcher has elbow bend, make sure she is not leading with the elbow into her hip or side

another possibility is that if on her downswing she has the ball facing backwards, and or if forward on her front side, you can cause the issue

last one, if the back shoulder “thrust” or lunges forward instead of staying behind the pitch, you don’t get internal forearm rotation but instead get more of a collision

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She's a student and the parents are not OK with posting a video so I'm asking for suggestions. It's near-miss thing, the contact is not always significant. I can't see how closing early could be the cause, that would put her shoulder further out, but we'll try staying open longer. I'm thinking this is going to put her arm behind her more and make it worse.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
To create good arm whip the elbow bends on the way down through the arm circle, but at brush, the elbow must be straight when the ball gets to 6:00. Assuming your pitcher has elbow bend, make sure she is not leading with the elbow into her hip or side

The elbow never straightens, check out Amanda Scarborough at 18, 27 and 38 seconds.

At 38 seconds it actually looks like she hits her hip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28