Forearm Hitting Hip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2019
My daughter had similar issues at the beginning of the season and I attributed it to a couple of things. Make sure she is not leaning to the right (if shes a righty) and make sure the hand is not too far away from her body (subconsciously creating space but actually making it worse). Also for my daughter, I think hip growth was a factor meaning if she was already brushing, and the hips expand even 1/2", now there is something in the way of her arm slot. Finally check for timing. Sometimes the upper half and lower half get out of time, make sure the legs and arms are moving at the same pace. Arms moving faster than the legs may cause her to hit as well. Good luck, we battled some pretty significant bruising of the hip till we got it figured out, all is good for now! P.S. Pad her up with an elbow sleeve (basketball type) it will stop her from adjusting things in a bad way to avoid the pain!

Sep 28, 2015
I will relate my DD experience with making violent contact with her hip. We always worked on brush and drive and not leaning etc etc. This worked until puberty and a really pointy hip.

Long story short she ended up with a Tincher pitcher and the crux of the problem for her was/is the drive and staying stacked.
She has learned that the drive leg needs to pop and push the front hip and working together staying under her top half.

Her hip issues were due to letting the backside drag, leaving the back hip behind, and her elbow slotted straight down into the hip bone and not behind it.

When she drives properly she is able to keep her nose back, throw with her back, and power into her throw to release. From the catcher It looks like she is running at me and throwing the ball thru with increasing speed vs a step and pull with a loose but decreasing speed release.

The words that finally clicked was to say it was like lifting weights or hitting and that there are 2 power moves not just 1. The drive is the setup/snap or coil and the throw is the lift or swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 5, 2019
I will relate my DD experience with making violent contact with her hip. We always worked on brush and drive and not leaning etc etc. This worked until puberty and a really pointy hip.

Long story short she ended up with a Tincher pitcher and the crux of the problem for her was/is the drive and staying stacked.
She has learned that the drive leg needs to pop and push the front hip and working together staying under her top half.

Her hip issues were due to letting the backside drag, leaving the back hip behind, and her elbow slotted straight down into the hip bone and not behind it.

When she drives properly she is able to keep her nose back, throw with her back, and power into her throw to release. From the catcher It looks like she is running at me and throwing the ball thru with increasing speed vs a step and pull with a loose but decreasing speed release.

The words that finally clicked was to say it was like lifting weights or hitting and that there are 2 power moves not just 1. The drive is the setup/snap or coil and the throw is the lift or swing.

That is great advice. Did you find your daughter was "digging or anchoring" the drag foot? I noticed my daughter does this at times and I keep encouraging her to get her backside through, or stay light on the drag....

Sep 28, 2015
That is great advice. Did you find your daughter was "digging or anchoring" the drag foot? I noticed my daughter does this at times and I keep encouraging her to get her backside through, or stay light on the drag....

No, not any more than you see from a lot of pitchers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee