Forced to wear team catcher's gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Catcher conundrum
Really its a gear conundrum
This could be glove, bat or cleats too.

Catchers gear doesnt all fit the same.
Half my students end up mix and match what fits best and works best.
Helmet can be entirely different fit and visually BE a terrible problem.
Even if free still wouldnt be a smart choice!!!!

This is a MUST HAVE A CLEAR DISCUSSION befor joining any team.
Worst thing topic comes up after joining....UHHGGGG

Many times if the gear you already own is in good shape.
Use the conversation point
"We dont need new gear at this time."

Unfortunetly this can go either way.
Each family/catcher/coach will have to weigh the value of the situation to the expense
Both $$$ keeping/losing player
But most importantly the
Fit & Safety of Equiptment.
( btw sometimes boys/mens gear fits differently can be better option)

For me,
if it doesnt fit
CANT WEAR IT

if it doesnt work
WONT USE IT

GOOD LUCK !
BE SMART !

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Catcher conundrum
Really its a gear conundrum
This could be glove, bat or cleats too.

Catchers gear doesnt all fit the same.
Half my students end up mix and match what fits best and works best.
Helmet can be entirely different fit and visually BE a terrible problem.
Even if free still wouldnt be a smart choice!!!!

This is a MUST HAVE A CLEAR DISCUSSION befor joining any team.
Worst thing topic comes up after joining....UHHGGGG

Many times if the gear you already own is in good shape.
Use the conversation point
"We dont need new gear at this time."

Unfortunetly this can go either way.
Each family/catcher/coach will have to weigh the value of the situation to the expense
Both $$$ keeping/losing player
But most importantly the
Fit & Safety of Equiptment.
( btw sometimes boys/mens gear fits differently can be better option)

For me,
if it doesnt fit
CANT WEAR IT

if it doesnt work
WONT USE IT

GOOD LUCK !
BE SMART !

We just had part of this conversation at our board meeting last night. I just ordered in 4 new sets of gear for our association the last couple weeks but told the other board members and coaches in attendance that we have plenty of gear but to find the right fit some girls may have to mix and match piece since each brand sizes and fits different.

Immediately one of the board members said the older girls won't go for that because it doesn't match. To summarize my response, "I don't care". If you want to be comfortable then find the best fit no matter the brand, if you want to look good and be miserably uncomfortable, go ahead but don't complain to your coach that the gear doesn't fit.

Apr 28, 2019
Last night coach tells DD that she has a bag for her. DD already has a nice bag and catcher's gear(All-Star) that she loves. The catcher's bag is used and limp with no backside support as she drags it. The gear(Louisville Slugger) is also used and she hates the skinny straps on the leg guards. She was pretty upset as she threw her gear in the back of the truck and plopped into her seat for the drive home. I was quiet as she vented. I am not sure how to handle this or what words to give her to have that conversation with the coach. I know that she will have to deal with this in the future, if she plays college ball, but catching gear is a personal choice IMO. Does she suck it up and deal with it? Try the gear out for a few tourney's and then say something?? This is a 16U Showcase team.
I agree with other
Last night coach tells DD that she has a bag for her. DD already has a nice bag and catcher's gear(All-Star) that she loves. The catcher's bag is used and limp with no backside support as she drags it. The gear(Louisville Slugger) is also used and she hates the skinny straps on the leg guards. She was pretty upset as she threw her gear in the back of the truck and plopped into her seat for the drive home. I was quiet as she vented. I am not sure how to handle this or what words to give her to have that conversation with the coach. I know that she will have to deal with this in the future, if she plays college ball, but catching gear is a personal choice IMO. Does she suck it up and deal with it? Try the gear out for a few tourney's and then say something?? This is a 16U Showcase team.
I agree with other responses. Your DD should be able to wear whatever gear she has. Unless of course the team wants to provide brand new gear that your daughter tried on and the gear fits well.
Can’t you just black-out or put tape over the name of maker if it’s a sponsor thing?

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
I agree with other
I agree with other responses. Your DD should be able to wear whatever gear she has. Unless of course the team wants to provide brand new gear that your daughter tried on and the gear fits well.
Can’t you just black-out or put tape over the name of maker if it’s a sponsor thing?

This is a 4 year old post. Socks daughter is in college now.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I agree with other

This is a good point!
Can just block out logo if its a sponsor thing!

Chest protector....
Mask tape around logo like a square around edges.
Little zap of spray paint.
Peal off tape.
Good to go!
Helmet/Shin guards spray right over logo.
Easy match most colors.

Sprayed my shin guards black cuz i didnt like red.
Worked fine.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
this is one of the reasons DDs gear from now on will always be gray and white (hate black gear, too hot, I call the black helmets most catchers use head ovens). matches everything. if a coach tried to insist she wear old gear he provided, she would have to want to (who knows, she might think it fits better), but if not, she will wear her gear.

If they are going to buy new, have to probably be a little more flexible, but I would tell them to have DD try it on, and send back anything that did not fit her right.

current team almost had similar issue with shoes. DD likes high tops, shows HC picked for team (team was buying as part of unis, I think they are getting small sponsorship deal) did not come in high top. We went to brands' website , found a high top pair of another series in charcoal, purchased them, told HC these were what she would wear (teams are going to be NAVy with some orange). He was like OK, since they wer same brand (we bought them before he ordered new unis, as she needed a new pair). everyone just has to be reasonable.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is a 4 year old post. Socks daughter is in college now.
Right! She gets to wear hand me down gear from a player that quit right before the season. No complaints. After 4 years of wearing crappy Louisville Slugger gear, she can wear anything. LOL. Getting ready to drive up to Dallas to watch her team play season opener. She said that she will be the starting catcher today.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Right! She gets to wear hand me down gear from a player that quit right before the season. No complaints. After 4 years of wearing crappy Louisville Slugger gear, she can wear anything. LOL. Getting ready to drive up to Dallas to watch her team play season opener. She said that she will be the starting catcher today.
Good Luck to her today!

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan

If you don't mind me asking, who does she play for? I'm just getting caught up on watching all the 45+ games I DRVed.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If you don't mind me asking, who does she play for? I'm just getting caught up on watching all the 45+ games I DRVed.
You won't see her play on Tv unless you watched the live stream at the time of the game. She plays for a D3 school, UT Dallas. She had a pretty darn good half season. I hated to see it end. Here is a clip from her first career Grand Slam.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812