Forced to wear team catcher's gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Ask the coach if it's mandatory that she wears the team gear. Complaints about discomfort or poor fit might help your case. If it's mandatory, you might be able to swap the straps from the All-Star legs to the LS legs (just remember to swap them back at the end of the season).

I'd make the team buy some straps that were comfortable. Otherwise wear your own gear. As a coach, I could care less what color the catcher's gear was, or who provided it. I guess I'm just not a very good micro-manager, nor a control freak.

Jan 3, 2014
We always just buy black gear. Just like when we wear fancy clothes. Black matches everything.

Nov 23, 2014
For real? My daughter caught for a team last year and her gear was black and red. The team colors were purple and black. So what if they clash? It's softball not a beauty pageant.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
What it comes down to is safety first, comfort a really close second and everything else becomes a VERY distant third. IMO All-Star has some of the safest and most comfortable gear out there. Also, if the gear the HC is trying to make your DD wear is worn out; ie. shin guard knee protectction padding is good for a year and maybe a month more so most likely is worn out, chest protectors padding may last maybe 3 years and helmets should be sent back for restoration and recertification every 2 years, then it is not safe. If he insists that she wear it, then just let him know that a lawsuit may be in the works should she get hurt due to faulty/worn out equipment. Another thing to consider is that poor fitting catchers gear is almost as dangerous as not wearing any at all and having to share that gear among 2 or more catchers and have to resize it every time they switch will cost time, effort and possibly called balls when they delay the game. Of course that's assuming that they don't have 2 or more sets. When it comes to catching, the gear is one of the most important aspects of it since it keeps them safe and in the game versus having to be pulled due to injury. As we all know, a good catcher controls the game and not having one can cause many losing games.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2011
Last night coach tells DD that she has a bag for her. DD already has a nice bag and catcher's gear(All-Star) that she loves. The catcher's bag is used and limp with no backside support as she drags it. The gear(Louisville Slugger) is also used and she hates the skinny straps on the leg guards. She was pretty upset as she threw her gear in the back of the truck and plopped into her seat for the drive home. I was quiet as she vented. I am not sure how to handle this or what words to give her to have that conversation with the coach. I know that she will have to deal with this in the future, if she plays college ball, but catching gear is a personal choice IMO. Does she suck it up and deal with it? Try the gear out for a few tourney's and then say something?? This is a 16U Showcase team.

Usually I tell my kid to do what the coaches ask her to do... but I would have her try it and if the equipment is used and it really doesn't fit well, I would have her tell the coach in a nice way that she is more comfortable with her current gear and ask if there was a specific reason as to why she couldnt just wear her personal gear instead? Especially the helmet. If the helmet is used its kind of a hygienic issue also.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Explain to the coach that sharing catcher's gear is akin to sharing underwear. If she doesn't back down, give her a pair of your finest undies and point out that, unlike catcher's gear, dirty, smelly underwear can be laundered effectively.

Dec 19, 2012
Last night coach tells DD that she has a bag for her. DD already has a nice bag and catcher's gear(All-Star) that she loves. The catcher's bag is used and limp with no backside support as she drags it. The gear(Louisville Slugger) is also used and she hates the skinny straps on the leg guards. She was pretty upset as she threw her gear in the back of the truck and plopped into her seat for the drive home. I was quiet as she vented. I am not sure how to handle this or what words to give her to have that conversation with the coach. I know that she will have to deal with this in the future, if she plays college ball, but catching gear is a personal choice IMO. Does she suck it up and deal with it? Try the gear out for a few tourney's and then say something?? This is a 16U Showcase team.

It's your fault. You were the one that decided to shower your dd with some of the best gear on the planet. That's what you get for spoiling your dd. If you would have bought her Champro gear she would love and appreciate the LS gear. Just sayin'........

Lol. Per our PM, I feel for you. My dd is going to miss her Wilson ProMotion gear.

Feb 12, 2014
I think you'll find that many of the regulars here promote using the gear that works best down to the individual piece of equipment. DD has helmet, shin guards, and chest protector that are each from different manufacturers. I won't ever buy a "set" of gear again. Sounds like that would make your coach totally freak out.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think we are just gonna slow roll this situation. I didn't realize that the gear bag came without the mask. She can wear her own mask. That is some positive news. I want DD to own this situation and let it unfold. However, I will see if we can change out the leg guard straps to make them more comfortable. If I have to, I will just pony up to buy her own LS-TPS gear. I know that we cannot control everything and at some point they may be forced to use a brand that is not their favorite. We can chalk this up as a learning opportunity.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Sounds like a plan. Just make sure the knee/patella padding is not worn out on the shin guards. Otherwise your DD will be wearing an awful lot of unnecessary bruises and may not block nearly as effectively as she is able.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478