Forced to wear team catcher's gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Last night coach tells DD that she has a bag for her. DD already has a nice bag and catcher's gear(All-Star) that she loves. The catcher's bag is used and limp with no backside support as she drags it. The gear(Louisville Slugger) is also used and she hates the skinny straps on the leg guards. She was pretty upset as she threw her gear in the back of the truck and plopped into her seat for the drive home. I was quiet as she vented. I am not sure how to handle this or what words to give her to have that conversation with the coach. I know that she will have to deal with this in the future, if she plays college ball, but catching gear is a personal choice IMO. Does she suck it up and deal with it? Try the gear out for a few tourney's and then say something?? This is a 16U Showcase team.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Is it a color or sponsorship thing?

Probably both. Team is "sponsored" by Louisville Slugger...whatever that means. Discount off of list price, but is still higher than market. But the colors will work. She has the white on red Allstar gear and team is Red, white and blue. I heard the coach refer to her gear as "Insert last team's name___" catcher's gear. Not true. Our purchase.

Jun 24, 2011
We recently declined an invitation to join a organization "sponsored" by a certain gear manufacturer. Said "sponsorship" means paying through the teeth for to be a walking billboard for one brand of gear, from bats and catching gear all the way down to logoed socks. The team cheer even shouted out brand name.

DD likes her All-Star kit and Xeno too much to seriously consider that nonsense.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Probably both. Team is "sponsored" by Louisville Slugger...whatever that means. Discount off of list price, but is still higher than market. But the colors will work. She has the white on red Allstar gear and team is Red, white and blue. I heard the coach refer to her gear as "Insert last team's name___" catcher's gear. Not true. Our purchase.

Not true and even the wrong colors of "Insert last team's name "! Educate her on the difference between blue and black.

Ironically, the bag DD was issued from "Insert last team's name" (the black and red one - not the blue and red one) when DD was with them was just as worn out and limp as this one you describe.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ask the coach if it's mandatory that she wears the team gear. Complaints about discomfort or poor fit might help your case. If it's mandatory, you might be able to swap the straps from the All-Star legs to the LS legs (just remember to swap them back at the end of the season).

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Ultimately, I guess it is up to the coach. But it sounds like maybe your catcher could tell the coach, "Coach, I seem to be catching better with my gear. What would you like me to do?". If coach says use the junk, you use the junk. I suppose if you want to play the parent card and throw a couple "safety of my child" buzzwords out there, you might get some results. But that method has the potential to blow up, so use your best judgement.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It amazes me a the level of BS some will put up with to be on a particular team. It's not college, and not even a top-level HS, but the possibly the most ephemeral of tournament level teams...the "showcase".

Even if the colors clashed, I'd no sooner let a coach tell my kid what catching gear to use any more than I'd let him dictate a particular brand of underwear. If the color didn't match, and the coach was insistent, I'd buy my kid another mask, or whatever, but it would be what SHE wanted to wear.

My kid isn't a catcher, but I was. Good catchers are a valuable and rare commodity, and I believe, the toughest position on the field with the greatest chance for near and long-term injury. It's important that they be comfortable in their gear. It doesn't have to be a pissing contest, but if the coach won't let her wear her gear without butt-hurt, I'd take my 16U catcher to any one of several nearby "showcase" teams that would be happy to have her, and her gear.

Feb 3, 2011
Bags are one thing, but until they're being paid to play, 16u catchers can wear whatever brand they want. She should defer to the team with respect to colors, however. If the team says the uniform is maroon & grey, then the catcher's gear should match.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee