For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I didn't know if you were someone I know personally. In my small town, I am called "coach" instead of my name and so, wondered if you were from my area. The title "ex expert" involves a very long story. Back in the day when I was almost a someone, I thought I knew it all. I didn't. I still don't. I prove that all of the time.
LOL. No I don't know you sir. I'm an 'ex' coach myself. Now I find pleasure in getting to help out 'dirt rats' wanting to improve their game once in a while. Just enticing you to keep sharing your knowledge.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Can't argue the importance of starting on time... however I think this stems way further then this. I've seen coaches pumping the the speed up in batting cages to 60 MPH for 12U. How often would you see a kid pitching 60 MPH at 12U? Coaches mentality was if they can hit 60MPH then they can hit 35MPH??? I think to pattar's point is.. when we were younger we would always be dicking around on the ball field. Slow pitch, self toss, wiffle balls, tennis balls, etc etc.. all different velocities, all different movements.. it's pretty damn easy to hit a mediocre pitcher throwing 30 MPH when your use to raking balls that speed messing around with your friends and use to seeing that speed

There is an old axiom in coaching; "Coach them from where they are, not from where you want them to be." I see it all the time here, and the result often sparks meanness, rather than a coach ever admit they are failing. As a result they yell and scream at their players I saw one girl sob for 45 minutes, and her female coach, in this case, is absolutely lousy.. They hit the ground balls harder, pitch harder, yell louder. What they believe is total failure and fear will somehow elicit perfection.

I myself try to keep the players success rate between 65-90%. At about 90% success in practice you need to increase the difficulty, but why 65%? I do not want them to be a "failure", but to be challenged. What are your opinions?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
There is an old axiom in coaching; "Coach them from where they are, not from where you want them to be." I see it all the time here, and the result often sparks meanness, rather than a coach ever admit they are failing. As a result they yell and scream at their players I saw one girl sob for 45 minutes, and her female coach, in this case, is absolutely lousy.. They hit the ground balls harder, pitch harder, yell louder. What they believe is total failure and fear will somehow elicit perfection.

I myself try to keep the players success rate between 65-90%. At about 90% success in practice you need to increase the difficulty, but why 65%? I do not want them to be a "failure", but to be challenged. What are your opinions?
Never ever put a number on it (success rate) in that context. But the logic of it makes sense, don't want them to be complacent and over confident, but you don't want to destroy them either

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

I coach by " that was awesome, want to try this?"

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

I don't know who you are but you are very wise. This post should be proclaimed to all coaches that somehow think yelling = good coaching and to parents that subject their DDs to berating lunatics. Think ahead, do you want your DD to get use to being berated? Who do you think she will marry? My DD will never play on a team (TB HS or College) with a jerk for a coach and I don't care how much success he or she has had. There are ways and techniques to coach with high expectations without the screaming. It is called having a relationship. Doesn't mean you are soft either. Read a Tony Dungy book for crying out loud. Have you written any books Quas?

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I don't know who you are but you are very wise. This post should be proclaimed to all coaches that somehow think yelling = good coaching and to parents that subject their DDs to berating lunatics. Think ahead, do you want your DD to get use to being berated? Who do you think she will marry? My DD will never play on a team (TB HS or College) with a jerk for a coach and I don't care how much success he or she has had. There are ways and techniques to coach with high expectations without the screaming. It is called having a relationship. Doesn't mean you are soft either. Read a Tony Dungy book for crying out loud. Have you written any books Quas?

Ha, no I have not, nor do I deserve the opportunity. But thanks! The issue of self-esteem and spousal abuse may of said more than all of us.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
ow
Imo,
The discussion steming from Q's post is what happens when people are foccused on what they like/prefer.
And P's post is recognizing success!
Looking at the success 'an athlete' is able to produce.

While there may be fundamental equations to all the different mechanics...

What an individual athlete can do may NOT be the same another athlete can do.

Perhaps this why NOT all elite hitters do the same things.

To prove your point, picking that which agrees with you is in fact non-statistical. Jessica Mendoza and Dot Richardson hit with low elbows. What does that prove? For me nothing. It isn't statistical and I don't remember asking them to meet my standards!

McCleany low elbow
X Ali Aguilar raises her elbow to high position from low position.
Delanie Spaulding low elbow
X Arrioto high back elbow
Michelle Moultrie elbows jerk around a lot, but the final load is a low elbow position
X Aubrey Munro Varied, but 15-degrees low or parallel
Janie Reed low elbow, raises it to about 15-degrees below parallel then drops it back low before she starts her swing. A twitch.
Ali Carda low elbow
Bubba Nickels low back elbow
X Kelsey Stewart high back elbow
X Hanna Flippen high back elbow
X Amanda Chidester almost parallel
Mulipola low elbow

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
ow

To prove your point. And picking that which agrees with you is in fact non-statistical. Jessica Mendoza and Dot Richardson hit with low elbows. What does that prove? For me nothing. It isn't statistical and I don't remember asking them to meet my standards!

McCleany low elbow
X Ali Aguilar raises her elbow to high position from low position.
Delanie Spaulding low elbow
X Arrioto high back elbow
Michelle Moultrie elbows jerk around a lot, but the final load is a low elbow position
X Aubrey Munro Varied, but 15-degrees low or parallel
Janie Reed low elbow, raises it to about 15-degrees below parallel then drops it back low before she starts her swing. A twitch.
Ali Carda low elbow
Bubba Nickels low back elbow
X Kelsey Stewart high back elbow
X Hanna Flippen high back elbow
X Amanda Chidester almost parallel
Mulipola low elbow
What i like most in you'r post is refferencing accomplished fastpitch players!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802