For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Imo,
The discussion steming from Q's post is what happens when people are foccused on what they like/prefer.
And P's post is recognizing success!
Instead of looking at the success 'an athlete' is able to produce.

While there may be fundamental equations to all the different mechanics...

What an individual athlete can do may NOT be the same another athlete can do.

Perhaps this why NOT all elite hitters do the same things.
There are certain things all HL hitters do. For some those things are more easily accomplished with a high/low elbow, open/closed stance,big/small stride etc., etc.

I am guessing you didn't have a hitting instructor growing up, neither did I. What you did was self adjust naturally based upon the result. A good hitting instructor will guide a student in a similar way but with additional insight based upon the fundamental actions which most HL hitters possess (of course those actions may differ from hitting instructor to hitting instructor but that is besides the point..most will be the same)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
There are certain things all HL hitters do. For some those things are more easily accomplished with a high/low elbow, open/closed stance,big/small stride etc., etc.

I am guessing you didn't have a hitting instructor growing up, neither did I. What you did was self adjust naturally based upon the result. A good hitting instructor will guide a student in a similar way but with additional insight based upon the fundamental actions which most HL hitters possess.
Nothing like having a piece of drift wood, rocks and a river to try hitting the rocks across for a hitting instructor.

Jun 8, 2016
Nothing like having a piece of drift wood, rocks and a river to hit them across for a hitting instructor.
When I was a kid we would play all kinds of different games where the ball speed was different. Speedball, wiffle ball, HR derby, etc. All of them had different pitch speeds. I never remember ever complaining in a game that the pitcher was throwing too slow. "The guy is throwing BP" would be the comment and everybody would lick their chops...With my DD's team (and most teams I've seen, even some of the best in the country for her age group) if a kid is throwing too slow it takes them forever to adjust...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

I am guessing you didn't have a hitting instructor growing up, neither did I. What you did was self adjust naturally based upon the result. A good hitting instructor will guide a student in a similar way but with additional insight based upon the fundamental actions which most HL hitters possess (of course those actions may differ from hitting instructor to hitting instructor but that is besides the point..most will be the same)
Good guess! Mr P.

To Add,
And good instructors / coaches recognize individual attributes!

Nothing like having a piece of drift wood, rocks and a river to try hitting the rocks across for a hitting instructor.
Little pebbles are fine :)

May 12, 2016
When I was a kid we would play all kinds of different games where the ball speed was different. Speedball, wiffle ball, HR derby, etc. All of them had different pitch speeds. I never remember ever complaining in a game that the pitcher was throwing too slow. "The guy is throwing BP" would be the comment and everybody would lick their chops...With my DD's team (and most teams I've seen, even some of the best in the country for her age group) if a kid is throwing too slow it takes them forever to adjust...
Big time!!

May 12, 2016
Nice timing for more discussion on timing in the https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/getting-started-on-time.38389/ thread?
Can't argue the importance of starting on time... however I think this stems way further then this. I've seen coaches pumping the the speed up in batting cages to 60 MPH for 12U. How often would you see a kid pitching 60 MPH at 12U? Coaches mentality was if they can hit 60MPH then they can hit 35MPH??? I think to pattar's point is.. when we were younger we would always be dicking around on the ball field. Slow pitch, self toss, wiffle balls, tennis balls, etc etc.. all different velocities, all different movements.. it's pretty damn easy to hit a mediocre pitcher throwing 30 MPH when your use to raking balls that speed messing around with your friends and use to seeing that speed

Jun 8, 2016
Can't argue the importance of starting on time... however I think this stems way further then this. I've seen coaches pumping the the speed up in batting cages to 60 MPH for 12U. How often would you see a kid pitching 60 MPH at 12U? Coaches mentality was if they can hit 60MPH then they can hit 35MPH??? I think to pattar's point is.. when we were younger we would always be dicking around on the ball field. Slow pitch, self toss, wiffle balls, tennis balls, etc etc.. all different velocities, all different movements.. it's pretty damn easy to hit a mediocre pitcher throwing 30 MPH when your use to raking balls that speed messing around with your friends and use to seeing that speed
and without somebody in your ear telling you HOW to adjust (wait longer, get up in the box, etc, etc..)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I hear ya. These days I just don't see any kids at the parks playing ball anymore. Now we have to teach it? What's up with that :unsure: ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom