For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I am torn with this argument.. LOL. First of all, many great fast pitch hitters have a high elbow, just like some great MLB hitters have a low elbow, for example

High elbow

Low elbow

Regarding swinging up at riseball.. lightning in a bottle. Hitters can swing up at any pitch, does it mean it's the right approach? No. I don't recommend chopping down on a riseball either. I say try to stay on top of a riseball, with more of a level swing. But more importantly, learn to recognize it and lay off

Very few have or had a low back elbow.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
"With a high back elbow, the elbow has to travel a much greater distance and at a much faster rate of speed. When this happens, the barrel of the bat will drop below the hands, the front elbow will rise, and you will have a long swing."

Never seen this article before, but he makes one of my major points. I was a science major at the University of Idaho. Loved physics! And quite often especially recently, I have heard, "The Science is settled." There is no such thing in science. There is no such thing based on opinion. There is only more research to create a larger mass of empirical evidence. This is why I do not accept evidence in the case of singular or limited examples. IF, if Jenn Yee is successful, or Sierra Romero is successful, and I think they are, can you prove to me their variances are what creates their success, or if they would be less successful or more successful if they changed their habits? Some are more apt to debate based on a belief system!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Lets compare swings.
Both bats start same vertical position.
The distance the barrel is required to move to get from vertical to ball path is the same.

Low elbow swing. The hands move the handle forward causing the barrel to move rearward and drag or lag the barrel behind the forward "linear" moving in hands. The the hands reach extension and turn away from the pitch path causing a force across the handle causes the barrel to turn into the pitch path.
The barrel moves in a quarter circle to get to plane and then moves linearly as it lags and then another quarter circle to get into the ball path.

High elbow swing. Elbow is pulled down to the rib cage exerting a downward and forward force on the handle causing the barrel to go upward and rearward. The force on the handle is then directed upward and rearward, the barrel will react downward and forward into the path of the ball. The barrel moves in a half circle into the ball path.

The low elbow swing applies rotational force briefly to move the barrel to lag, pauses, and then applies more rotational force to move the barrel to ball path.
The high elbow swing applies rotational force continuously to ball path.

The swing that moves the hands forward lagging the barrel behind is longer to ball path is longer due to the linear path after the barrel turns to plane.
But I could be wrong,

Jun 8, 2016
. She is the exception, and when healthy, exceptional.
There have been 5 or 6 good FP hitters with high back elbows shown already. I am sure I could find 10 to 20 more..at what point does it stop being an exception? I am not promoting either one tbh, just saying that a blanket statement like you are making here is typically off base when it comes to most things related to hitting.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
"With a high back elbow, the elbow has to travel a much greater distance and at a much faster rate of speed. When this happens, the barrel of the bat will drop below the hands, the front elbow will rise, and you will have a long swing."

Never seen this article before, but he makes one of my major points. I was a science major at the University of Idaho. Loved physics! And quite often especially recently, I have heard, "The Science is settled." There is no such thing in science. There is no such thing based on opinion. There is only more research to create a larger mass of empirical evidence. This is why I do not accept evidence in the case of singular or limited examples. IF, if Jenn Yee is successful, or Sierra Romero is successful, and I think they are, can you prove to me their variances are what creates their success, or if they would be less successful or more successful if they changed their habits? Some are more apt to debate based on a belief system!

There have been 5 or 6 good FP hitters with high back elbows shown already. I am sure I could find 10 to 20 more..at what point does it stop being an exception?

Imo,
The discussion steming from Q's post is what happens when people are foccused on what they like/prefer.
And P's post is recognizing success!
Looking at the success 'an athlete' is able to produce.

While there may be fundamental equations to all the different mechanics...

What an individual athlete can do may NOT be the same another athlete can do.

Perhaps this why NOT all elite hitters do the same things.
Just maybe my job as a coach is to learn how to help many different type of hitters rather than many type of hitters having to change to only what I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28