For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That girl's "baseball" swing set HR records in college.
No such thing. Sarcasm is real tho.

Do you think there is a difference FACING Fastpitch vs. Bb ?
ANYONE?
Simple answer yes or no ?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is true. But the best are able to jump ahead (or comeback to, is probably a better way to put it) of their anticipated trajectory and see contact. There is a study on cricket players that shows that the best see release, then anticipate (look ahead), eyes come back to see the bounce , then anticipate again and then their eyes come back again and see contact. The best do this naturally or instinctively. Can you teach this? Is vIsion training is real? Could vision training take an average player to new heights? Or is just tell Jenny to choke up a little a better plan? You could have the best swing mechanics in the world but if vision and timing aren't there, some "could/ should have been hitters" never will get to the next level.

Vision training could be an entirely separate thread. I believe there is some potential there, but it is difficult to quantify.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
" A high back elbow is an almost certain ticket to failure in fastpitch. "

When I don't agree with this, I have often thought that with 2 strikes, pre slotting the elbow and no stride swing approach might work. DD practices hitting from this position (sorta deltoid drill) and only loses 5 to 8 mph of bat speed. Still plenty enough speed to hit a line drive to the grass. Beat the heck out of fake bunt, pull back, hit method, IMO.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Do you think there is a difference FACING Fastpitch vs. Bb ?
ANYONE?
Simple answer yes or no ?

Yes. I have played baseball and modified fast pitch. Seeing the ball from a different release point took me some time to adjust to. I did not change my mechanics, but I had to make some very minor tweaks. To be honest, the more difficult adjustment was playing slow pitch. I do not like slow pitch...

May 12, 2016
Yes. I have played baseball and modified fast pitch. Seeing the ball from a different release point took me some time to adjust to. I did not change my mechanics, but I had to make some very minor tweaks. To be honest, the more difficult adjustment was playing slow pitch. I do not like slow pitch...
I've played pick up baseball, but played it a lot with some really good athletes who could throw hard. I played organized softball, slo and fastpitch. Out of the 3 I found fastpitch hardest to hit. Just something unnatural about the starting from a low release point and ending higher(depending on the pitch). Slow pitch for me was very easy, baseball I could always pick up the ball better.. which again comes back to vision and path interpretation. I am sure if I played baseball at a more competitive level, that would of been a different story when considering increased velocity and spin manipulation.

I also did not change my swing.. but I did change my approach.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

No sarcasm at all. That player was criticized for having a "baseball" swing, and her father was criticized for teaching it to her. She took that swing to college and set records with it.

A few years down the road now, the idea that the underlying mechanics of hitting a baseball and hitting a softball are the same is being more widely accepted in the softball world.

Mar 10, 2020
Hands on experience is lifes classroom.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No sarcasm at all. That player was criticized for having a "baseball" swing, and her father was criticized for teaching it to her. She took that swing to college and set records with it.

A few years down the road now, the idea that the underlying mechanics of hitting a baseball and hitting a softball are the same is being more widely accepted in the softball world.
Thats a shame to criticize for a "different style" or classify for that matter!!

Best thing, Look for success!

Had several PRO BB dad's dd's on my lesson schedule. For hitting and catching.Two did not want to be involved in teaching hitting to their kid.
Don Barbara taught his dd.
Aka:Tank
His hitting method he taught her turned out beautiful!
He is left handed and taught right handed Tank to hit lefty.
What a crusher!
At pgf one summer she drove a line drive over the left fence so furiously
Lisa Fernandez stood up in the bleachers to watch it exit the field.

As far as hitting. Hitting is hitting.
The two sports however are different.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28