For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
some batters struggling in fastpitch because of their type of Swing mechanics.

*And struggling can really be helped with understanding!!!

I dare to ask, what are the swing mechanics you speak of that cause fastpitch players to struggle? And would you suggest a different swing mechanic for fastpitch and a different mechanic for baseball?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just wanted to bring up the understanding there is a difference.

Hitting mechanics have many variables.
I shared a few tid-bits in my posts regarding what worked for me. Also adjustments a few pro bb players made.
My observations are in line with several posters comments here.
More level is better.

Best thing to recommend is
use resources and think through
how things apply.
Not really my style to say dont do that.....

What i can share is...
I know what i have found success with.
Have taught for many years.
Rotational explosive power.
( not down and up )
*Everyone should do what works for them!
*Utilize the knowledge available.
*Apply principle to purpose.
*To find your success!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Anyway you are right, I will knock it off with the physics corrections, my bad. From now on
Yes, physics, math, A&P, kinesiology, and any other natural - and mandatory - laws and concepts are just annoying inconveniences for many at this site.

I've just stopped trying to correct the so many inaccuracies A&P and kinesiology related here recently...just not worth my time any longer. "Stupid is as stupid does"...and that would be me trying to get science and text books to be the thing of the day, rather than pseudoscience and agendas that have become the recent rage in our county, so I'll stop expecting it to be any difference at an internet forum. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

May 12, 2016
Yes, physics, math, A&P, kinesiology, and any other natural - and mandatory - laws and concepts are just annoying inconveniences for many at this site.

I've just stopped trying to correct the so many inaccuracies A&P and kinesiology related here recently...just not worth my time any longer. "Stupid is as stupid does"...and that would be me trying to get science and text books to be the thing of the day, rather than pseudoscience and agendas that have become the recent rage in our county, so I'll stop expecting it to be any difference at an internet forum. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
There are corrections that need to be made and there are those that are trivial because it's obvious what the poster meant with their comments. I am all about learning.. just can do without the petty comments that hinder a discussion... which I am guilty off sometimes as well,.... people have reminded me on occasion. But talk about the drama...

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
All right! Just like the good old days for me. After they let me out of the classrooms and out of work, I got to play ball :cool:

Jun 8, 2016

I spend too much time on here anyway.. I tend to overthink things and this place isn't good for that which in turn isn't good for my kid..

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
For those analyzing baseball swings as a reference for hitting in Fastpitch...

Considering the 'always' downward trajectory of the pitch in baseball and not so in Fastpitch...

Would you consider a different approach to the ball or different bat path?

I'm asking this as I see people referencing in baseball discussions (or at least they appear to be about baseball swing discussions)
lots of swing approach and bat path /angle conversations.

When you can show me a baseball coach teach a fastpitch player how to hit a riseball, or show me a baseball player that can hit a better fastpitch pitcher, then they can start teaching me. From the shoulders down, or should I say the head down minus the arms, it is all good.

Jul 29, 2013
I would like to spend more time discussing softball swings. Not that they are much different but because this is DFP! Also full grown men on steroids (BB and others) have different bodies with different physical capabilities which allows them to swing differently. Please don't say steroids didn't help them hit better. If it didn't help they would not have taken them. Most fastpitch hitters are going to be more two legged and hit the ball more out front IMO. Trying to teach a 10 or 12 y/o 75 lbs. girl to swing like BB is not going to work. If we use men as examples maybe we should focus on smaller men that hit for power. Altuve type. Joey Batista is not 6 feet tall. Either is Donaldson. Guys that have to use their whole body to hit it out.
Most 10 or 12 yo girls aren't swinging a 32 drop 3 wood bat with 8000oz MOI nor are they swinging at equivalent 90mph pitches on a 400ft field either. Teach them the same swing.
The smaller guy thing works for all ages/sizes of girl and boys.
More out front is a trap.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I am in no way and expert, just a dad who has worked with his kid for the last 5 years. So here is my opinion. Please go easy on me, I'm still learning too.

There are 2 separate things happening here in this thread. The transfer of energy into the ball (mechanics) and the math that happens in the hitters head while the ball is traveling towards them (adjustments).

The mechanics are what they are. What I mean is that transferring energy does not change based on the trajectory of the ball. The baseball swing has been analysed and tweaked for 100 plus years to transfer the most energy into the ball in the most efficient way possible. That is what my daughter is taught and what she is becoming pretty good at.

The adjustments to the trajectory and speed of the ball happen within the mechanics of the swing that the hitter is taught.

However, I do acknowledge that the adjustments available to the hitter are constrained by the mechanics the hitter has been taught.

I hope that came out right. I will also say that my DD has been seeing a hitting coach for 4 years now and have learned most of what I know from him. He only teaches softball hitter and has a very good record with the swing he teaches.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am in no way and expert, just a dad who has worked with his kid for the last 5 years. So here is my opinion. Please go easy on me, I'm still learning too.

There are 2 separate things happening here in this thread. The transfer of energy into the ball (mechanics) and the math that happens in the hitters head while the ball is traveling towards them (adjustments).

The mechanics are what they are. What I mean is that transferring energy does not change based on the trajectory of the ball. The baseball swing has been analysed and tweaked for 100 plus years to transfer the most energy into the ball in the most efficient way possible. That is what my daughter is taught and what she is becoming pretty good at.

The adjustments to the trajectory and speed of the ball happen within the mechanics of the swing that the hitter is taught.

However, I do acknowledge that the adjustments available to the hitter are constrained by the mechanics the hitter has been taught.

I hope that came out right. I will also say that my DD has been seeing a hitting coach for 4 years now and have learned most of what I know from him. He only teaches softball hitter and has a very good record with the swing he teaches.

This is an excellent post. Sometimes we get too bogged down in terminology and anatomy. You have everything covered without the need for all of that other stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802