For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
A high back elbow is an almost certain ticket to failure in fastpitch. As I stated, our Princess of softball here is a total failure on any pitch above mid-thigh. She has the slightly exaggerated baseball swing. But she can hit a ball at her ankles.
Maybe this young lady, who you seem to have something against outside of her inability to hit a pitch above her waist, just cannot hit regardless of where her back elbow is in her stance..?? There are plenty of HL softball hitters who have a "high back elbow"...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Nice to read the discussions!

This same topic could have been opened up by simply asking...

Can approach angles and bat path have anything to do with hitters struggling?
That answer (while on this forum may be all over the place. :) )
The answer is YES

Resolution options~
For some people/coaches/instructors
May approach fixing/helping this by
1. Some last moment in swing tweeking suggestion.
2. Changing part of physical mechanics. From the very start of stepping in the box.
( which could be ANY change that is made permanently )

This fact is part of this topic ~
*Calling pitches is strongly based on what the batter is doing.
Recognizing weak spots is how calling the right pitches can be so effective.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Nice to read the discussions!

This same topic could have been opened up by simply asking...

Can approach angles and bat path have anything to do with hitters struggling?
That answer (while on this forum may be all over the place. :) )
The answer is YES

Resolution options~
For some people/coaches/instructors
May approach fixing/helping this by
1. Some last moment in swing tweeking suggestion.
2. Changing part of physical mechanics. From the very start of stepping in the box.
( which could be ANY change that is made permanently )

This fact is part of this topic ~
*Calling pitches is strongly based on what the batter is doing.
Recognizing weak spots is how calling the right pitches can be so effective.
I'm in the posture change camp as far as getting squared up.

- Softball Hitting Posture

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Macho hormones? All about me. I see we have an expert.

A former player of mine like in the attachment then, in your view can not hit at a high level? She was taught to swing it like Pujols:
She looks ready to do some damage

Jul 29, 2013
Maybe this young lady, who you seem to have something against outside of her inability to hit a pitch above her waist, just cannot hit regardless of where her back elbow is in her stance..?? There are plenty of HL softball hitters who have a "high back elbow"...
It's not the location of the rear elbow that matters (it drops into the slot as a torquing movement anyway) but the front elbow that determines the swing plane and, if it doesn't elevate, is the reason she can't hit balls above her waist.

Jun 8, 2016
It's not the location of the rear elbow that matters (it drops into the slot as a torquing movement anyway) but the front elbow that determines the swing plane and, if it doesn't elevate, is the reason she can't hit balls above her waist.
Tell the person who thinks you cannot hit with a high elbow in softball...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
First, I share stuff here because I am all that and a chocolate chip cookie.

In Robert Adair's book, he determined that a MLB BB player had .4 of a second to recognize a pitch and swing. Like in FP, those pitches aren't one standard trajectory. You have breaking pitches that go down or sideways and pitches that don't drop as fast as you might think. Now, that last statement is important. No hitter sees the ball from release to contact. Their brain projects a path. The eyes actually shift during a swing to anticipated parts of that trajectory. In those tenths of a second, a brain signal might be sent to check a swing.

No matter how you slice it, that plate is 17 inches wide. No matter how you slice it, that strike zone is defined. So, a hitter has to be able to make adjustments to hit balls entering that defined area and do so in tenths of a second. An important part of that adjustment is done in two types of "tilt" or what I used to call "posture." Both pelvic tilt and lateral tilt help set the swing plane and it happens fast. Both have to be dynamic. Some would call the pelvic tilt portion a part of "load." Naturally, the lateral tilt is the transfer to unloading.

Finally, I'll do my best to bug out now. I spent a few years as an expert. Shame on me. The best thing about being an ex expert is that I have received texts all day today asking when we are going to gear up again to hit. PLEASE, just don' tell my girls or my kid that I was a baseball coach.

Take care all!

Edited to add:

I should just walk away but need to say one more thing. IMO, softball lagged behind for so many years because people said that girls couldn't ... There was a strength comment in this thread. My dd and I golfed today. BB hit a 9 iron 170 yards onto the green and pin high. She deadlifts 420 lbs. I'm glad I raised her to know the swing, how to do video, how a hitter should approach at bats, ... BTW, when all of these girls are swinging down on the ball coming up, where does their bat end up at the end of the swing. Where was contact made? What does video show you? Come on! Now, I'll leave this thread.
This is true. But the best are able to jump ahead (or comeback to, is probably a better way to put it) of their anticipated trajectory and see contact. There is a study on cricket players that shows that the best see release, then anticipate (look ahead), eyes come back to see the bounce , then anticipate again and then their eyes come back again and see contact. The best do this naturally or instinctively. Can you teach this? Is vIsion training real? Could vision training take an average player to new heights? Or is just telling Jenny to choke up a little a better plan? You could have the best swing mechanics in the world but if vision and timing aren't there, some "could/ should have been hitters" never will get to the next level.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
You could have the best swing mechanics in the world but if vision and timing aren't there, some "could/ should have been hitters" never will get to the next level.
For that matter are there just certain people who are prone to be better athletes. Not better mechanics that make the athlete.

Jun 8, 2016
This is true. But the best are able to jump ahead (or comeback to, is probably a better way to put it) of their anticipated trajectory and see contact. There is a study on cricket players that shows that the best see release, then anticipate (look ahead), eyes come back to see the bounce , then anticipate again and then their eyes come back again and see contact. The best do this naturally or instinctively. Can you teach this? Is vIsion training is real? Could vision training take an average player to new heights? Or is just tell Jenny to choke up a little a better plan? You could have the best swing mechanics in the world but if vision and timing aren't there, some "could/ should have been hitters" never will get to the next level.
Having good vision is underrated. I didn't have to wear glasses till my Jr. in HS. I wore contacts but they bothered my eyes so bad that it was probably better if I didn't even wear them. Not coincidentally I was probably a better hitter my Soph year in HS then I was all the way through college...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom