For HS Coaches: Daily Attendance %

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
For all the HS coaches out there, what's your daily practice attendance percentage look like?

I have the expectation that players show up every day (emergencies/academics are exceptions). That, of course, is futile. In reality, 85-90% attendance is what I look for (this year, that means 24+ out of 28). We've met that goal in 3/6 practices this year, though big band and robotics competitions hurt our numbers last week. Right now only 11 of 28 have had full practice attendance every day, but that does include plenty of legitimate reasons for missing/being late/leaving early.

So, what is your daily attendance like? Not looking for a discussion on what are good reasons to miss. Just wondering if I should be happy with the overall team attendance or if I need to give some reminders about showing up every day.

Oct 26, 2019
What happens if they don’t come? Do they play in the next game? I never had issues with kids attending practice, but if they missed a practice they didn’t play in the next game.

What I’m finding is parents want kids to be able to do everything and sometimes you have to make choices and those choices have consequences.

Sep 17, 2009
For all the HS coaches out there, what's your daily practice attendance percentage look like?

I have the expectation that players show up every day (emergencies/academics are exceptions). That, of course, is futile. In reality, 85-90% attendance is what I look for (this year, that means 24+ out of 28). We've met that goal in 3/6 practices this year, though big band and robotics competitions hurt our numbers last week. Right now only 11 of 28 have had full practice attendance every day, but that does include plenty of legitimate reasons for missing/being late/leaving early.

So, what is your daily attendance like? Not looking for a discussion on what are good reasons to miss. Just wondering if I should be happy with the overall team attendance or if I need to give some reminders about showing up every day.
Depends on the program, its goals and whether you can 'afford' or want to let kids go. In practical terms, your practice math seems pretty good....school does throw up legitimate reasons to miss. To make it better you'd have to put the hammer down only you can decide if you have the juice or interest to do so.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I've been a HS coach for over 20 years. In places where HS ball means something. Yes, there are reasons to miss a practice here and there...but they are pretty few. 100% has always been our expectation, and the majority of the time, that's what its been. Also yes, there are consequences for missing if it would be an unexcused absence. I guess you have to determine what you consider to be excused and unexcused.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
FWIW, the reasons girls have missed so far this year: death in the family; band/robotics competitions; absent from school; various doctor's appointments, including getting an updated physical; and then the stuff that definitely isn't excused: dad's birthday, parent didn't feel like driving, parent is an a-hole who occasionally just wants to show what a big tough guy he is so he says his daughter can't make practice (this player is a senior and has been with us since 7th grade; I don't know if her dad has ever come to a game).

I would love 100% attendance, but with so many it does seem there will always be something. This year, most of the somethings have been legitimate.

Our program does better than most at the school, but I make my expectations known and players do lose playing time for missing. Sounds like we're not meeting the standards of state championship contenders, though we're nowhere near that level of play. Something to strive for though.

Oct 26, 2019
There are definite legitimate reasons. If a kid is sick, death in the family, etc. There are also some pretty bogus excuses. We usually know those when we see them.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
100%. I thought the question odd but this is yet another example of how HS ball is different throughout the country. BTW, I also expected every player to show up for every practice in baseball, golf and basketball.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
100%. I thought the question odd but this is yet another example of how HS ball is different throughout the country. BTW, I also expected every player to show up for every practice in baseball, golf and basketball.

Different parts of the same state, even.

My expectation is 100%, but how does that work in practice? With all the legitimate reasons, how often are you below that?

I can pretty confidently say that 24/28 showing up every day puts us ahead of the game around here, especially for a 1A school in Chicago. Merely having that many girls makes us a unicorn.

Sep 19, 2018
DD's middle school BB coach is the HS varsity SB coach. If you missed a practice you lost game time unless you had a valid excuse / doctors note etc.

May 20, 2015
100% - especially for the varsity players - the expectation is that without a valid excuse (Drs appt, etc) - if you're at school, you're at practice

JV attendance is a little spottier.......but that may be part of the reason they are JV ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28