For Auburn softball, joy on the surface obscured darker truths within

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I came here, to see if this had been posted.
When my daughter went to college, I didn’t warn her about the students her age, I warned her about the adults.
I went to college, in 1973. The AD had an affair with my best friend. We were 18. She has an August birthday, so she was barely of age. He was 35.
Since that time, my boys’ basketball coach, slept with a high school girl and sent her 1000s of texts. He was married and had 3 little daughters. He served 30 days in jail.
Texts. They all seem to be part of the story. I don’t understand leaving incriminating evidence. In 1973, the AD sent my friend a post card, to her parent’s home. He called her “sweatheart.”
So, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Jul 29, 2016
I came here, to see if this had been posted.
When my daughter went to college, I didn’t warn her about the students her age, I warned her about the adults.
I went to college, in 1973. The AD had an affair with my best friend. We were 18. She has an August birthday, so she was barely of age. He was 35.
Since that time, my boys’ basketball coach, slept with a high school girl and sent her 1000s of texts. He was married and had 3 little daughters. He served 30 days in jail.
Texts. They all seem to be part of the story. I don’t understand leaving incriminating evidence. In 1973, the AD sent my friend a post card, to her parent’s home. He called her “sweatheart.”
So, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

The older my daughter gets, the more I worry about this sort of thing. I think it is crazy that they haven't run the family out of the city of Auburn yet, but no one cares. That's the sadest thing of all - this is a young(ish) coach having inappropriate relationships with at least two of his players, and we have a player who was ostracized for outing him. Yet the universal reaction seems to be "meh."

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Really sad and infuriating at the same time. When we do construction projects at schools K - 12, CORI / background checks are required. When we work at colleges, there is nothing required. There are guys on parole and with prison records free (more or less) to roam the campus.

In the USA/ASA training video, they now address recognizing inappropriate behavior, abuse, etc. which was eye opening for me. When to notify your superior, when to call the police, and when to just leave it alone. Sounds like they could use something like this in college sports.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The older my daughter gets, the more I worry about this sort of thing. I think it is crazy that they haven't run the family out of the city of Auburn yet, but no one cares. That's the sadest thing of all - this is a young(ish) coach having inappropriate relationships with at least two of his players, and we have a player who was ostracized for outing him. Yet the universal reaction seems to be "meh."

Corey's indiscretion was a code of conduct violation, not a criminal offense, not sure running them out of town is warranted, but to be honest I am surprised they have not left on their own accord.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Corey's indiscretion was a code of conduct violation, not a criminal offense, not sure running them out of town is warranted, but to be honest I am surprised they have not left on their own accord.

It's interesting to me that it isn't a criminal offense. While a college professor/staff typically don't have the same level of authority of say a prison guard or a high school teacher (in Oklahoma at least, it's against the law even if the student is 18+), with a scholarship athlete there IS a bit more at stake. You could probably easily make the case that there is enough on the line for them for a coach/staff to leverage, that this kind of relationship SHOULD have some kind of legal implication.

Jun 8, 2016
It's interesting to me that it isn't a criminal offense. While a college professor/staff typically don't have the same level of authority of say a prison guard or a high school teacher (in Oklahoma at least, it's against the law even if the student is 18+), with a scholarship athlete there IS a bit more at stake. You could probably easily make the case that there is enough on the line for them for a coach/staff to leverage, that this kind of relationship SHOULD have some kind of legal implication.

Our faculty handbook (OU) states :

(1) Faculty/Student Relationships
Within the Instructional Context
It is considered a serious breach of professional ethics for a member of the faculty to initiate or acquiesce in a sexual relationship with a student who is enrolled in a course being taught by the faculty member or whose academic work (including work as a teaching assistant) is being supervised by the faculty member.

2) Staff/Student Relationships
Staff/Student Relationships - Consensual sexual relationships between staff and students are prohibited in cases in which the staff member has authority or control over the student. A staff member who fails to withdraw from participation in activities or decisions that may reward or penalize a student with whom the staff member has or has had an amorous relationship will be deemed to have violated his or her ethical obligation to the student, to other students, to colleagues, and to the University. Failure to abide by this policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

I am assuming the wording/implications are similar at other Universities. Making it illegal at a University would probably be difficult.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016

I fully understand that, and I wasn't suggesting that we round up a posse to take him to the city limits of Auburn. He ought to be shamed out of town - like people not wanting to sit in the same church pew or near him in a restaurant.

But there's plenty of blame to go around. Auburn should've never let Corey Myers on campus - they ran him off at Arizona State for exactly the same thing. And I place this squarely at the feet of Clint, too. He may have been a great coach, but his legacy will be forever tarnished because his son was using the team as his dating pool. And the team, too. They punished the victim here by ostracizing her. Of course these young women had been brain-washed into the whole "team family" crap that Corey was using to advance his predatory behavior.

Sure it isn't illegal for an 18 year-old to have sex with a 35-year-old man. But if this was my daughter, Corey Myers would find me on his doorstep to have a little chat about his behavior. There's a reason why we have a code of conduct that governs relationships between coaches and players. I think too many people dismiss this with the sentiment that "they're both adults."

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Our faculty handbook (OU) states :

(1) Faculty/Student Relationships
Within the Instructional Context
It is considered a serious breach of professional ethics for a member of the faculty to initiate or acquiesce in a sexual relationship with a student who is enrolled in a course being taught by the faculty member or whose academic work (including work as a teaching assistant) is being supervised by the faculty member.

2) Staff/Student Relationships
Staff/Student Relationships - Consensual sexual relationships between staff and students are prohibited in cases in which the staff member has authority or control over the student. A staff member who fails to withdraw from participation in activities or decisions that may reward or penalize a student with whom the staff member has or has had an amorous relationship will be deemed to have violated his or her ethical obligation to the student, to other students, to colleagues, and to the University. Failure to abide by this policy may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

I am assuming the wording/implications are similar at other Universities. Making it illegal at a University would probably be difficult.

I wonder where all of this would fall in terms of coercion, which I believe in some places at least, falls under sexual assault. It obviously isn't in Auburn (or no one thinks it would hold up). I wonder, if playing D1 softball were as valuable as D1 football (in terms of what a top level talent has to lose/gain), if it someone wouldn't be trying to pursue that angle more aggressively.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I fully understand that, and I wasn't suggesting that we round up a posse to take him to the city limits of Auburn. He ought to be shamed out of town - like people not wanting to sit in the same church pew or near him in a restaurant.

But there's plenty of blame to go around. Auburn should've never let Corey Myers on campus - they ran him off at Arizona State for exactly the same thing. And I place this squarely at the feet of Clint, too. He may have been a great coach, but his legacy will be forever tarnished because his son was using the team as his dating pool. And the team, too. They punished the victim here by ostracizing her. Of course these young women had been brain-washed into the whole "team family" crap that Corey was using to advance his predatory behavior.

Sure it isn't illegal for an 18 year-old to have sex with a 35-year-old man. But if this was my daughter, Corey Myers would find me on his doorstep to have a little chat about his behavior. There's a reason why we have a code of conduct that governs relationships between coaches and players. I think too many people dismiss this with the sentiment that "they're both adults."

The Myers family portrait should be found in the dictionary under Nepotism. Our entire family grew up Auburn fans and my DW and I are both alumni. During the recruiting process our "spider sense" started tingling when our DD would talk with Corey - thank God for unanswered prayers!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It would be up to the young ladies, at this point, to sue Corie for harassment. Sexual harassment is all too common among sports teams. And, the head coach can be held accountable, since ASU had banned Corie. Maybe this article will give ladies the courage to see an attorney.
This whole deal reminds me of Pat Summits son, who could have been big in coaching, had he not slept with the girls. His wife promptly divorced him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802