Footwork for catchers.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
My 10 uear old decided she wants to try catching. I worked with her a little today and when she popped up to throw she for some reason was dragging her rear foot like she was pitching. We both laughed but she did it repeatedly even when knowing she was doing it. This was pretty un expected for me. She has been in gymnastics since she was a toddler so she is pretty aware of her body and usually takes direction well.
What ideas to fix it? Has anyone ever seen that?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just to clarify, she's dragging the foot getting into the throwing position during the quick feet move? If so, many, including Jay Weaver from The Catching Camp which is considered the gold standard, teach lightly dragging the back foot getting into the throwing position.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My 10 uear old decided she wants to try catching. I worked with her a little today and when she popped up to throw she for some reason was dragging her rear foot like she was pitching. We both laughed but she did it repeatedly even when knowing she was doing it. This was pretty un expected for me. She has been in gymnastics since she was a toddler so she is pretty aware of her body and usually takes direction well.
What ideas to fix it? Has anyone ever seen that?
Guessing she already knows how to catch a fly ball or grounders and come forward into her throw? Also guessing that she probably doesn't drag her foot when she's doing regular throwing??
...and this thing from Catching position is just a Bizarro anomaly LOL.

Simply share with her
* the throw the catcher is making is the same as an outfielder throwing after catching a Fly ball ! Or grounders or playing catch.

We're just doing it from our catching crouch bursting forward to our feet.

Let her know key element~
*Need to create as much explosive energy forward into our throw as possible!!!
Quick short steps 1,2
* it is ok apon the throw for back foot to come off the ground like a cartwheel!
(many kids identify with cartwheels:) )

Go for it!!!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
Just to clarify, she's dragging the foot getting into the throwing position during the quick feet move? If so, many, including Jay Weaver from The Catching Camp which is considered the gold standard, teach lightly dragging the back foot getting into the throwing position.
We were trying it without a ball inside on a rainy day, so we will see what she does wihile actually making the throw, but the first time she popped up she actually pretend pitched it underhand. After we laughed about it a bit she went into overhand throwing stance (or 3 o clock pitching drill stance) with weght on her front foot, rear foot drug with her foot turned forward/ down, shoelaces facing forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802