Follow Through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
FJRGerry, ding ding ding. You win.

I can't tell you the number of 8 YOs that come to their first lesson after watching the U of AZ. girls pitch. They really like to act like they are throwing a backhand flip change or whatever the flavor of the day is.

I just teach a very basic stride and windmill. And I really break it down. We work a lot on staying tall and ridding the little girl of the forward lean. Once they start practicing correctly, they start seeing some success, almost immediately.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I was looking for some info on follow through and ran across this and a couple other threads with mixed opinions. I found several who teach a completely natural/unforced follow through where the hand ends up loosely in front of the boddy, often palm down. In another I saw that palm/fingertips to the opposite shoulder is also a common teaching.

Jul 31, 2011
Your premise is wrong, so your question doesn't make much sense.

2mha0cn.gif

oa3bf8.gif

The "wrist snap" doesn't have a natural upward motion. There are two bones in the forearm--the radius and the ulna. The radius is on the thumb side of the hand, while the ulna is on the little finger side of the hand. The radius rotates over the ulna at release.

The rotation of the radius relative to the ulna is also found in overhand throwing and tennis serves.

Ray
Ray
I really appreciate this post. Any time a pitcher releases a ball with the intent of forward spin on the ball, the wrist and hand and fingers behave the way you've described and illustrated. The most difficult thing I deal with as a coach every day is the student who has been taught to snap up with the palm up on the release of the ball- invariably it causes most of them (students) to twist inside of the ball (to keep it from going high) resulting in a spirally spin which makes the ball go flat and straight. This is a daily challenge even with some of my more advanced students. I might add in general that it's my understanding that I snap up with the palm up only when I'm intending to get underneath the ball to primarily spin it backwards for rise, and side spin to some degree for a curve, as I release the ball.

Jul 21, 2008
Ray
I really appreciate this post. Any time a pitcher releases a ball with the intent of forward spin on the ball, the wrist and hand and fingers behave the way you've described and illustrated. The most difficult thing I deal with as a coach every day is the student who has been taught to snap up with the palm up on the release of the ball- invariably it causes most of them (students) to twist inside of the ball (to keep it from going high) resulting in a spirally spin which makes the ball go flat and straight. This is a daily challenge even with some of my more advanced students. I might add in general that it's my understanding that I snap up with the palm up only when I'm intending to get underneath the ball to primarily spin it backwards for rise, and side spin to some degree for a curve, as I release the ball.

Good post ! I agree...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812