Fly Rule for a Dummy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I have read discussion after discussion on this site........I read the rules that people have posted....and I still don't understand the Fly rule........ So could someone explain to me-- at a Kindergarten level.......the fly rule

I have told my daughter - in the case of a pop fly, get off the base a few feet and hold.......if the person making a play on the ball drops the fly.....take off to the next base......if they catch it return to your base.

reading the discussions it seems to be more to it........it seems if the refs calls the fly rule......the runner must stay on base even if the ball is dropped

I am soo confused......could someone explain for this dummy

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Are you meaning the infield fly rule. Or just a standard pop fly to the jnfield when the
Requirements for the Infiled Fly Rule arent in place?

May 1, 2018
runner on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs. "it's on"
Ball hit in the air and basically camped under it, "infield fly" should be called (All runners should tag up and most likely stay)
the ball dropping doesn't matter the batter is still out and there is no force to run.

Oct 26, 2019
It’s easier to understand once you grasp the rules intention - which is to prevent a fielder from dropping the fly ball on purpose to force the runner to advance and execute the possible double play. The infield fly rule prevents the intentional drop double play.

Mar 28, 2020
runner on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs. "it's on"
Ball hit in the air and basically camped under it, "infield fly" should be called (All runners should tag up and most likely stay)
the ball dropping doesn't matter the batter is still out and there is no force to run.
in field fly rule

Dec 11, 2010
And don’t forget, it’s a live ball and runners can advance!

Yes, I have really seen this. Doesn’t happen often.

Mar 28, 2020
Sooo let me try to see if I understand

If there is only one out........and the ump calls infield fly on a pop fly.......all runners may NOT advance they must hold......even if ball is dropped runners can not advance........basically an infield fly is an automatic out rather its caught or not.....an no advancing

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
No. If an infield fly is called, the batter is automatically out, regardless of whether the infielder catches or drops the ball.

The base runners however, can advance, at their own risk. If the ball is caught they could tag up (probably difficult because of the logistics) or if the ball is dropped the runner could take the next base.

So, you probably want your baserunners to stay near the bag. Maybe they want to (fake a) tag up and draw a throw in hopes of a fielding miscue to advance. If the ball is dropped, they do not have to advance, as there is no force out, because the batter has already been called out. They may advance if the opportunity arises, however. (Maybe the dropped ball gets booted)

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
No. If an infield fly is called, the batter is automatically out, regardless of whether the infielder catches or drops the ball.

The base runners however, can advance, at their own risk. If the ball is caught they could tag up (probably difficult because of the logistics) or if the ball is dropped the runner could take the next base.

So, you probably want your baserunners to stay near the bag. Maybe they want to (fake a) tag up and draw a throw in hopes of a fielding miscue to advance. If the ball is dropped, they do not have to advance, as there is no force out, because the batter has already been called out. They may advance if the opportunity arises, however. (Maybe the dropped ball gets booted)
This...

If the SS is deep for instance and you have bases loaded with less than two out, having the runner on 3rd tag and go can sometimes catch people off guard cause it's not expected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23