Florida gets info on menstrual cycle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I had assumed this collection of data was directly connected to transgender athletes. Tatonka, you said it's a "possible factor." So my question (which I'm asking here because of that paywall): If it's not specifically and entirely about those athletes, what is the ostensible reason for doing this? Does the article say?

The questions asked are these:
  • When was your first menstrual period?
  • When was your most recent menstrual period?
  • How much time do you usually have from the start of one period to the start of another ?
  • How many periods have you had in the last year?
  • What was the longest time between periods in the last year?
Additionally, some school districts are putting this stuff into a database, which is really creepy.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Of course the Third Party (Aktivate) entity which has been contracted to house/manage this data has assured everyone of privacy and is HIPAA compliant.

Aktivate has not said that it is HIPAA compliant. Parents waive their privacy rights as to this information when they sign their DDs up for sports.

Jun 8, 2016
I can understand why this information may be useful from a health perspective. My DW ran track in college and many of her long-distance teammates were extremely unhealthy...frighteningly skinny with eating disorders to the point where they would stop their cycles. Of course I am not sure what is stopping people from lying on these things so...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The questions asked are these:
  • When was your first menstrual period?
  • When was your most recent menstrual period?
  • How much time do you usually have from the start of one period to the start of another ?
  • How many periods have you had in the last year?
  • What was the longest time between periods in the last year?
Additionally, some school districts are putting this stuff into a database, which is really creepy.
How about

*When was your first red-bull?
*When was your most recent red-bull?
* How much time does it take you to drink one Red Bull until you start another red bull?
* How many red bulls have you had this past year?
* When was the longest time in between drinking red bulls this past year?

Just commenting that addiction causes issues. So, heck start asking a whole plethora of questions of products that may be affecting athletes health.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
And being extremely healthy and Super Active can interrupt Cycles.
I don't think having your period interrupted without the use of exogenous hormones (like the pill) would be considered "healthy" regardless of how active you are...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I can understand why this information may be useful from a health perspective. My DW ran track in college and many of her long-distance teammates were extremely unhealthy...frighteningly skinny with eating disorders to the point where they would stop their cycles. Of course I am not sure what is stopping people from lying on these things so...
I Should have worded that better.
was commenting that athletes that are healthy in all their 'other capacities'
weight and nutrition can have interruption.

Don't have to be malnourished or underweight.

Everybody Here is a link to some detail in the topic

radness

Dec 13, 2019
How about

*When was your first red-bull?
*When was your most recent red-bull?
* How much time does it take you to drink one Red Bull until you start another red bull?
* How many red bulls have you had this past year?
* When was the longest time in between drinking red bulls this past year?

Just commenting that addiction causes issues. So, heck start asking a whole plethora of questions of products that may be affecting athletes health.
To support my creative thinking looked up energy drink addiction,
Making this comment because there are a much broader array of issues for health reasons that span across both genders florida could be following up with their so to speak concerning questions.
(Rather than a female topic)
that btw people can utilize birth control through healthcare under Dr supervision and can stop menstrual cycles from 3 months to a year.

CDC reports
Anxiety, insomnia, dehydration, and heart complications

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Aktivate has not said that it is HIPAA compliant. Parents waive their privacy rights as to this information when they sign their DDs up for sports.
You are correct Sluggers, I was reading from a different article when I posted that earlier. Thank you.

Here's a better summary of Aktivate.

"Aktivate, a software company founded last year which bills itself as a 'platform powering the scholastic sports community', is one of the main third-parties working with high schools across Florida to collect student data.

Almost all schools in Palm Beach County have partnered with Aktivate, and Broward, Hillsborough and Sarasota counties are also rolling out its software in some capacity, according to a Palm Beach Post investigation.

The company claims it keeps student data confidential and will not sell it to other third parties, but because Aktivate is not a medical care provider it is not restricted by HIPPA privacy laws and would therefore be required to turn over data to the authorities if subpoenaed.

Its privacy policy also says that it may share student data 'to work with third parties who conduct studies or assist us in providing and improving our products... and with affiliated education companies'."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478