Florida gets info on menstrual cycle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2013
I used to conduct sports physicals in the state of PA for HS and MS sports at least 10 years ago. PIAA had similar questions on their forms back then. The specific menstrual questions are nothing new. The storage of that info in a non-HIPAA compliant database is what is concerning if the patients’ identifying info is included and can be shared.

And yes, I have caught parents in lies regarding the medical info they share on those forms - thanks to HIPAA-compliant electronic records and databases.

Just FYI - the menstrual cycle questions and resulting answers would prompt more questions and perhaps referral back to their PCP or GYN if determined to be abnormal. They definitely help to uncover underlying issues like eating disorders, thyroid disorders, possible pregnancy, etc that warrant prompt work up and treatment.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
I used to conduct sports physicals in the state of PA for HS and MS sports at least 10 years ago. PIAA had similar questions on their forms back then. The specific menstrual questions are nothing new. The storage of that info in a non-HIPAA compliant database is what is concerning if the patients’ identifying info is included and can be shared.

And yes, I have caught parents in lies regarding the medical info they share on those forms - thanks to HIPAA-compliant electronic records and databases.

Just FYI - the menstrual cycle questions and resulting answers would prompt more questions and perhaps referral back to their PCP or GYN if determined to be abnormal. They definitely help to uncover underlying issues like eating disorders, thyroid disorders, possible pregnancy, etc that warrant prompt work up and treatment.

Agree from this standpoint. Same in Indiana. Any healthcare provider that isn’t asking those questions while clearing a female athlete for sports participation is not doing their job, but IMO the only information the state should be keeping track of in this instance is they’ve been cleared yes or no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
I will also add that these sports physicals might be the only time a teen might see a healthcare provider over the course of a few years as most mandatory vaccines for school are completed before HS age or are completed when they are an older teen. Due to that - they might skip their yearly well-visits for a few years during adolescence and this is a great way for us to capture those individuals.

Many parents skip taking them to their PCP and have these physicals completed at walk-in clinics as they are very convenient and no appointment necessary. This can be another issue.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
People skip going to the dentist but they're not forced to provide Dental history.

Face it, this is a specific topic that is irrelevant to General Healthcare of athletic population. Picking and choosing what to investigate leaving out the equal importance of male gender Healthcare. What a farce.

Unless you are a physician or other healthcare provider I don’t think you can make an educated statement on what’s irrelevant to healthcare of the athletic population. Tracking it at the state level is absolutely ridiculous but the questions are extremely relevant to the health of female athletes since dysfunctional menstrual cycles may indicate a variety of conditions that would be detrimental to the athletes. Male athletes are questioned about testicular pain, lesions and other groin pain as well. The state is in the wrong here but the questions are relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Regarding this non-protected database.
( separate from h i p p a)

Was simply commenting there are plenty of *General Health concern questions that could be asked that cover all genders.
*Not particular questions.
( that leaves out a broad range of healthcare concern type questions that could be asked)
Which can have terrible Health complications.
If the goal is truly the health of the athletes there could be a giant list of questions.
Which imo is relevant.
Unless you are a physician or other healthcare provider I don’t think you can make an educated statement on what’s irrelevant to healthcare of the athletic population.
(i never said anything was irrelevant)

Thankfully we can have an opinion without having a physician's degree or working in the healthcare industry. As people have offered theirs in their posts.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
@sluggers, please delete this thread. I deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts because everything turned political there. Now those sites are nothing more than Echo chambers for vitriolic hatred. I came here to get away from that and to enjoy a sport I love with others who shared a same passion. Now because of this post, I have a pretty good idea on how some of the people here lean politically, and that disappoints me. Not that I disagree with them, per se, but the fact that I even know how they might vote is what bothers me.

Please don't allow this site to degrade into just another social media site.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
RAD - you had mentioned in the reply which angispeds quoted that it was irrelevant to healthcare of the athletic population (assuming you were referring to the topic of menstruation). There are specific questions and exam (hernia check) for male athletes, as well.

Just FYI at least here in my state - if your child (any child) can’t produce a signed dental form for school at certain ages, the school will have their assigned dentist examine your child. It is required by law.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
- you had mentioned in the reply which angispeds quoted that it was irrelevant to healthcare of the athletic population (assuming you were referring to the topic of menstruation). There are specific questions and exam (hernia check) for male athletes, as well.

Just FYI at least here in my state - if your child (any child) can’t produce a signed dental form for school at certain ages, the school will have their assigned dentist examine your child. It is required by law.
No I never said anything was irrelevant.

I brought up a couple different discussion points like saying they could be questioning energy drinks the athletes may consume. I brought up the topic of dental history. Because those are also topics that can cause Healthcare concerns. I brought up those examples because there are a broader range of healthcare topics that could be included in questions instead of singling out particular ones.
*in their non-hippa protected database.

Used the term General Healthcare questions meaning a larger array of topics.

Hopefully people don't need to take things out of context further.
Now that I have clarified what I was writing about twice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802