Florida gets info on menstrual cycle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2013
Curious, what government agency is getting the medical info other than the school?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Curious, what government agency is getting the medical info other than the school?
Once the information is out, there really is no bring it back. Once the information is in digital form the access to it is INCREDIBLE.

Anyone at the school can get to the information and anyone above them. School, school administration, school district, school board, state department of education, state Governor, federal department of education, any law enforcement agency, anyone that the date has been given to or sold to.

There isn't any protection once you give out your info.

Right now Florida is arresting people that have registered to vote.....the very people that the State SAID THEY COULD VOTE! Bait and switch!!!!

Women have been prosecuted for miscarriages in all 50 states through out US history. Even with the protections of HIPAA and ROE. A recent stat is 1,300 women prosecuted from 2006-2020 for miscarriages and still birth. Prosecutions have increased with information, technology and erosion of protections.

May 27, 2013
Again, I have stated before and state again I am not for storing the records in a non-HIPAA compliant database or any other unprotected manner. I am just honestly curious to know where exactly you feel the info goes (currently, with the paper forms) and why now, after years of having to complete these forms, there is an issue? If it’s purely because of the database issue, then I totally agree with you and fully understand the concern.

The menstrual cycle questions on the form - specifically in Florida - which is the state that originally was the topic of this thread lists those questions as “optional.” They do not have to be answered.

Honestly, is it all of the questions you (general you) have an issue with or just the menstrual cycle ones - because those are the ones that seem to have fueled this thread? The passive-aggressive responses to my questions were unnecessary. I was truly trying to understand the concern surrounding the menstrual cycle specific questions.

The medical questions are designed to assist the healthcare provider in making the appropriate decision in clearing the patient specifically for sports participation. The questions were developed and recommended by different medical bodies (American Academy of Pediatrics, etc).

Some states don’t require the questionnaire part to be handed over to the school, just the exam part where the HCP has stated they reviewed the answers to the health history questions and clear the patient. If you feel that the health history part doesn’t need to go to the school, ask if the part that is signed off on by the HCP clearing the athlete suffices.

Be sure to do the same for the general school physical forms before your dd enters high school and college, as most have very similar questions on those forms, as well.

It is obvious that this thread is now heading down the political rabbit hole. The author of the linked article has accomplished what they were hoping to. On that note, I am out. I have no desire to further engage in a thread heading in that direction, especially when questionable sources, info, and fake online personas always become part of the mix.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Again, I have stated before and state again I am not for storing the records in a non-HIPAA compliant database or any other unprotected manner. I am just honestly curious to know where exactly you feel the info goes (currently, with the paper forms) and why now, after years of having to complete these forms, there is an issue? If it’s purely because of the database issue, then I totally agree with you and fully understand the concern.

The menstrual cycle questions on the form - specifically in Florida - which is the state that originally was the topic of this thread lists those questions as “optional.” They do not have to be answered. Honestly, is it all of the questions you (general you) have an issue with or just the menstrual cycle ones - because those are the ones that seem to have fueled this thread?

The medical questions are designed to assist the healthcare provider in making the appropriate decision in clearing the patient specifically for sports participation. The questions were developed and recommended by different medical bodies (American Academy of Pediatrics, etc).

Some states don’t require the questionnaire part to be handed over to the school, just the exam part where the HCP has stated they reviewed the answers to the health history questions and clear the patient. If you feel that the health history part doesn’t need to go to the school, ask if the part that is signed off on by the HCP clearing the athlete suffices.

Be sure to do the same for the general school physical forms before your dd enters high school and college, as most have very similar questions on those forms, as well.

It is obvious that this thread is now heading down the political rabbit hole. The author of the linked article has accomplished what they were hoping to. On that note, I am out. I have no desire to further engage in a thread heading in that direction.
Since June 2022, Americans now live in a significantly different world. Freedoms and privacy have been eroded.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation IS DIFFERENT from Florida. Says only the one-page clearance should be submitted to schools. Florida wants all of the pages submitted to the database. Physicians say to not share medical info with schools.

There is no reason to be collecting this information and there is no reason that schools need this.

Aktivate, an online platform designed to make athlete information easier to track, requires a value, such as "N/A," to be entered for every question on the athlete's participation physical whether the question is optional or not.

May 29, 2015

The menstrual cycle questions on the form - specifically in Florida - which is the state that originally was the topic of this thread lists those questions as “optional.” They do not have to be answered.

Honestly, is it all of the questions you (general you) have an issue with or just the menstrual cycle ones - because those are the ones that seem to have fueled this thread? The passive-aggressive responses to my questions were unnecessary. I was truly trying to understand the concern surrounding the menstrual cycle specific questions.

It is obvious that this thread is now heading down the political rabbit hole. The author of the linked article has accomplished what they were hoping to. On that note, I am out. I have no desire to further engage in a thread heading in that direction, especially when questionable sources, info, and fake online personas always become part of the mix.

I've been looking at this for a while, trying to decide whether to post it or delete it. I deleted some of my commentary on your posting style above and opted to go ahead with the rest.

The "passive-aggressive" responses and the responses that you feel are political seem to equate to answers you don't like or agree with.

You have asked what the concern is, and several of us have answered you. I don't think anybody here disagreed that the information can be relevant to a physician who is stating an athlete is healthy and able to play. There is a reason we have laws to protect both doctor-patient relationships and how health records can be used. What we have objected to is a directive for a government body -- ANY government body in ANY state -- to collect this information and store it in a potentially non-HIPAA compliant database being run by a for-profit company.

It is true that the Florida High School Athletic Association is NOT a governmental body. They are an organization whose members ARE governmental entities. The FHSAA is directing its members to get this data and turn it over to them, putting the onus on the school districts to collect this information. What is a school district? It is a governmental body. For those who are talking about colleges (which I will agree, the article does not mention), state schools are governmentally run.

Given that the state of Florida (the focus of this article) and numerous other states have passed laws that some see as attacking women's rights and the rights of people who are trans-females, people are concerned about the motive behind this move. More extreme, Texas is one state that has "deputized" private citizens to enforce some of those laws through civil cases which provide information that could then be used in criminal cases. With this move, there is much legal speculation over what information and what sources may be allowed for government or non-government individuals "acting on behalf of the government".

I will tell you the same thing I have told many former clients and many former employers ... Don't ask the question if you are not prepared to listen to the answer.

Jun 8, 2016
Everybody can probably figure out what side of the isle I stand on and I am filing this under “things that aren’t political that are made political” but hey you guys knock yourselves out chasing ghosts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood