Flip change speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
I appreciate the responses so far and maybe I should have asked the question a little bit different. She is playing 12u A tournaments and throws her fast and drop cruising 59-61. She does not tip off her change that coaches or anyone can pick. She can locate it for strikes but we can’t get the speed up over 40. Which leaves about 20mph difference. For 75% of the hitters it works great but for the very elite hitters the speed difference seems to much and allows them to reload. We have been working hard on increasing the speed to get in that 12 mph difference. I’m wondering if we need to work more on a different change up and have two different speed changes or can you get the flip speed in high 40’s low 50.

Going off the subject a bit.

Pitching 60 mph from 35 feet away is the same as pitching 73.8 mph from 43 feet. I suspect there are no 12 year olds out there who can hit your daughter's fastball. From 35 feet, I suspect there are not many 18 year olds who can hit your daughter's fast ball.

Maybe the elite 12 year old hitters are just sitting on the change up?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
10U is at 35 feet. 12U is 40 feet. But your point still stands (just not quite as tall).

I forget when things changed. I even tried to look it up but clearly failed. Thanks for the correction.

So it is equivalent to 65 mph from 43 feet. I still say not many 12u players can hit that, and they are sitting on the change.

Oct 4, 2018
I forget when things changed. I even tried to look it up but clearly failed. Thanks for the correction.

So it is equivalent to 65 mph from 43 feet. I still say not many 12u players can hit that, and they are sitting on the change.

Agreed.

Sep 3, 2015
20mph difference is too much, PC wants 10-12. I've rarely seen a good flip change, I guess it would complement a rise, but seems difficult to throw. My DD throws the "cats paw" also but it's inconsistent, it's usually in the dirt a foot in front of the plate. PC says since there is no brush with the change it's hard to find the release point.

I wish she could get that pitch working for her, it's been a struggle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2017

It is very few that can square it up. But you can get into some long at bats with girls just fouling them off. So a good deceptive change up would be beneficial. We have been playing with a different change up from Tincher instructor the last week and getting about a 9 mph difference in speed.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Unless you have a legit riseball, not sure why someone would throw a flip change? One of the attributes of a change up is that it looks like something it is not. Unless you can set up the flip change with the rise and vice versa, a flip change will only look like a flip change.

Apr 28, 2014
Unless you have a legit riseball, not sure why someone would throw a flip change? One of the attributes of a change up is that it looks like something it is not. Unless you can set up the flip change with the rise and vice versa, a flip change will only look like a flip change.

Jan 28, 2017

What kind of change did Jake throw?

Jul 1, 2019
DD throws two different CU's. Her flip is 13ish mph slower than fastball, her "handshake/horseshoe" change is about 8-9mph slower than FB. Her flip is true 6-12 spin with a lot of rotation, her fastball (almost like a peel drop) is almost always 12-6, with a good amount of rotation. If you're not real use to seeing her pitch, it's hard to tell at first which one is coming. She's got more spin than most girls I've seen at her age and the flip has been very useful for her in the past two years, especially since she sells it very well. Between those two pitches, along with the fact that she's got a very good drop, she's kept batters guessing and created a bunch of weak hits. Her horseshoe change has a nice tail to it which makes up for the lesser speed differential.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee