Flip change speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD throws a flip change and really spins it on the side. The ball comes out the back of her hand and her pinky finishes on her hip. The other pitcher on our team is like a 2nd DD and her change floats and is to slow. She is a little better overall pitcher than my DD. Almost exactly what Hillhouse said above.

Jul 22, 2015
DD throws a flip change and really spins it on the side. The ball comes out the back of her hand and her pinky finishes on her hip. The other pitcher on our team is like a 2nd DD and her change floats and is to slow. She is a little better overall pitcher than my DD. Almost exactly what Hillhouse said above.

Not to quibble with the semantics too much, but if it has side spin and comes off the pinky it isn't really a flip. I really like that release to give side spin vs the flip that gives backspin.

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Sorry to pick on you drew but, I always chuckle at this. "I throw a horseshoe change". To which I say, Ok... that tells me how you hold it, it does NOT tell me how you take speed off it.

If her change up is too slow with the back flip, it means she's flipping it backwards too much. This is a double whammy anyway because the last thing you ever want is backspin on your change up so it floats!!! I always threw a modified backflip change, where I flipped my wrist back and came over the top at the same time. So the back of my hand would come over to my opposite shoulder. This made it look (to the naked eye) like my other pitches too. But, if my hand finishes too high... it likely went to slow and/or too high. Too fast means I came over the top too much and not enough of the back flip part. It's in my "Pitches" DVD where I demo it. I don't think there's any demo's of me doing it on YouTube but, I haven't looked there in a LONG time. I usually only get mad at YouTube for all the pirated stuff on there.. LOLOLOL.

Bill

@Hillhouse - Thanks for sharing Bill.

Would you agree... that once the pitcher "takes out the IR and the whip from the arm/hand/fingers"... by releasing the ball with the thumb "inside" (next to the hip)... it will lose speed and it will also look the same as all the other pitchers because you don't change anything but the release...?

Just curious... with your years' of expert experience... and your years of observations working with pitchers, thanks in advance for your reply!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Kent, (FastpitchPros) without question, taking out the whip is automatically going to reduce speed. That doesn't mean the follow through can't look the same though.

And yes, as long as nothing changes but the release it should look identical. Part of the issue is many people try to OVERDUE it with the flip change, making it look and feel 100 different from other pitches. It's only the release that has to change. Not cupping the wrist, etc.

Bill

Jan 28, 2017
Not to quibble with the semantics too much, but if it has side spin and comes off the pinky it isn't really a flip. I really like that release to give side spin vs the flip that gives backspin.

Dont know what category it belongs in but its nasty. DD threw the flip until last year and her PC changed her to this and day one it was very good. DD is 13 now. Trying not to be that guy but havent seen a change with better movement. I

May 27, 2013
I know I’ve read on here that the knuckles on the ball to throw the change can be picked up - but so far dd has thrown it for years like that and it has been highly effective. She throws it like a drop curve so it still has spin, just comes in slower. Thirteen mph difference. She’ll throw it like a backdoor drop curve or like a regular DC depending on the batter’s tendencies. Gets lots of SM with it. Her CB is her fastest pitch so this complements it very well with the way she releases it.

Oct 4, 2018
Dont know what category it belongs in but its nasty. DD threw the flip until last year and her PC changed her to this and day one it was very good. DD is 13 now. Trying not to be that guy but havent seen a change with better movement. I

:D

You're definitely that guy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee