Flex Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Does anyone use a flex player/DP combo to pair a strong hitter/slow runner with a weak hitter/fast runner? What are the upsides and downsides in game situations?

May 27, 2013
I would think if the fast runner was an OF and was a great defensive player it would only make sense to pair that player as a flex to the DP who is a strong hitter/slow runner. My only thing is that DP needs to be significantly better as a hitter than the flex or else they potentially become a base-clogger when they get on and are not the pitcher/catcher who can be run for.

Aug 25, 2019
I think you should disregard the running part. A great hitter/weak fielder (could be slow in field) should be paired with a great fielder/weak hitter. If your DP gets a hit and you want the Flex to run for her, that's a substitution. SO if you do that in the first inning, then the DP takes her batting spot in the lineup in the third inning and gets a hit again, if you have the Flex run for your flex again, that's the 2nd substitution and the DP is out of the game and the Flex takes that spot in the lineup.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I think you should disregard the running part. A great hitter/weak fielder (could be slow in field) should be paired with a great fielder/weak hitter. If your DP gets a hit and you want the Flex to run for her, that's a substitution. SO if you do that in the first inning, then the DP takes her batting spot in the lineup in the third inning and gets a hit again, if you have the Flex run for your flex again, that's the 2nd substitution and the DP is out of the game and the Flex takes that spot in the lineup.

Can the flex run for the DP though? I thought the DP and Flex couldn’t be on offense at the same time?

Oct 14, 2019
Can the flex run for the DP though? I thought the DP and Flex couldn’t be on offense at the same time?
yes. the flex can run for the DP. only twice is my understanding. then you could use a second bench player as the DP.

May 27, 2013
yes. the flex can run for the DP. only twice is my understanding. then you could use a second bench player as the DP.
But only if the DP comes out, correct? Ok, I’m getting it - so more as a sub in the DP’s spot. I misread flash’s response. For some reason I thought he meant the DP would stay in her spot and would just have the Flex run when she got on base without replacing the DP. Sorry!

May 27, 2013
That would be a decent strategy if a short game; however, if it’s a 7 inning game with the chance of 3-4 at bats if she’s a strong hitter, I want her staying in the lineup. Especially if it has the potential to be a close game.

Oct 14, 2019
agreed. most of our tournament games are only 1:15 so it would probably work pretty well.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
@jay - Sounds like you were confusing the usage of the DP/Flex with the NSA "twin". DP/Flex is usually a player combo of strong defence / weak hitting (flex) and weak or redundant defence / strong hitting. They don't play for each other..

In the "Twin" situation each of the two players in that spot can play at any time and go in for the other at any time - without substitution.

Oct 14, 2019
the flex can pinch run for the DP, who doesn’t play defense. Not sure what you’re saying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802