Flat bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
if you all belive that a soft ball and base ball is the same then why cant the best hitters in base ball hit a good fastpitch softball pitcher. Ive done it over and over and I also have watch a lot of film and there is a diffrence the girls that go to the big softball schools where great hitter when they got there are they are fast as a streak It all comes down to the abilty of the player and there is no set path in hitting body has as much to do with it as anything I belive as long as the hand stays inside the elbow at toe touch and the back elbow is in the slot at toe touch then your shoulders will be perpadiclur with the bat

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been around long enough to have seen major changes in softball. In the 60s we were learning the baseball swing, then in the 80s we were taught "squish the bug and come down on the ball." But, now for at least the last 5 years hitting the softball is strictly rotational - so, I am right back where I started. I am having a heck of a time demonstrating it, though - so I generally don't actually hit a ball.

I have spent a few dollars and bought the Englishbey DVD. It is worth the money.

May 7, 2008
Boonville.

In my humble opinion, the hitting mechanics are not different, it is the conditions. Baseball players and softball players are conditioned to their sport. The baseball/softball players eyes are trained to look for different things. The two sports are similar in theory, but you are right, they have significant differences, such as larger ball and less distance between mound and home. I believe it is harder (for anyone) to hit a softball than a baseball :) My young softball/baseball athlete's swings look the same.

See my post under Sport Science in the Pitching Forum :)

Ang

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Here is a link to a page on the Right View Pro website. On the left of each series of 4 screens(1 for softball, 1 for baseball) is a list of the steps of the swing. As you place your mouse on the steps the players in the screens will go to those steps/positions. If you place the baseball players in position 5 then slide your mouse to the right off that table you can go the softball screen and put those players in the same step/position and compare them, baseball and softball, one against the other. The screens are small but you can still get the general idea. The only question I have is why did they include Jennie Finch? She is much to upright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Those demonstrations of baseball hitters going against softball pitchers are just that -- demonstrations. Many of the baseball hitters are quite amused by the whole thing. They're not used to seeing the ball coming from below and they're amazed at what female softball pitchers can do.

That being said, if their living depended on hitting female softball pitchers you can bet your booty they'd be hitting them the same way they hit baseball pitchers. They'd train for it, learn the pitchers, and do all the things they do in baseball.

May 12, 2008
I am totally and completely open to change with real proof that it works. I really would like the info. Yes my daughter has played against Glory, last year at the 12u level. We moved her down south this year for 14u to put her up against the more aggresive pitchers like the Bombers in New Braunfels and around Temple.She is also a catcher.Her sp this year so far is .874 but your right if i had solid proof that i could help that.I would do it in a second.I would even change the way i teach any player that i work with.

Randy

HG,

Teach your hitters to swing like this. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting;jsessionid=71wp51qpo3.tiger_s

May 28, 2008
I believe it is harder (for anyone) to hit a softball than a baseball :) My young softball/baseball athlete's swings look the same.
Ang[/QUOTE]

Ang: My DD would respectfully disagree. She has played little league baseball from age 5 until this spring (A level and allstars, so a good hitter). She says hitting a baseball is much harder than hitting a softball.

May 8, 2008
South Florida
Thanks Armwhip for the great link my DD looked at this and said now I see what I am doing wrong (arm extension) so instead of me telling her she can see it. We are going to go out tonite and film her swing and compare it with this site and break it down. THANKS !!!:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478