Fixing the overhand throw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
If he were anywhere near me very often, I'd find a way to get out to a clinic in person as well. .

Has anyone had success in bringing a Wasserman clinic to their travel program? I'd love to set something like this up, but it feels weird to approach a professional coach with many years of experience and say something along the lines of: "There's a better way to teach overhand throwing than what you're doing. How about bringing in an expert?"

I'm thinking the best approach is to send a note to the organization director (there are seven teams) to make the suggestion so that it doesn't come off as second-guessing the coach. Thoughts?

Jun 8, 2016
Has anyone had success in bringing a Wasserman clinic to their travel program? I'd love to set something like this up, but it feels weird to approach a professional coach with many years of experience and say something along the lines of: "There's a better way to teach overhand throwing than what you're doing. How about bringing in an expert?"

I'm thinking the best approach is to send a note to the organization director (there are seven teams) to make the suggestion so that it doesn't come off as second-guessing the coach. Thoughts?

Step 1: Obtain an encrypted anonymous e-mail account
Step 2: Obtain a video of one of the org kids throwing, e-mail from anonymous account to org director
Step 3: Send (via anonymous,encrypted e-mail of course) one of the HL throwing videos on this thread
Step 4: Send a link to Wasserman clinic to org director
Step 5: Delete e-mail account
:p

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Step 2: Send a request to Wasserman to set up a clinic with your org
Step 3: Confirm the location and other details with Wasserman
Step 4: Send an email to all members of your org (except the know-it-all coach) about the clinic and to bring $35 in cash

Jun 8, 2016
Step 2: Send a request to Wasserman to set up a clinic with your org
Step 3: Confirm the location and other details with Wasserman
Step 4: Send an email to all members of your org (except the know-it-all coach) about the clinic and to bring $35 in cash

LOL..yes that is better!! You are more devious than I am!!

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA

We are thinking about it for our organization. It is pretty expensive, but it would be a great investment in the girls. Making the suggestion straight to the head of your organization makes good sense. Something along the lines of "Hey this guy has been giving clinics to the top college programs and I see that he will come to travel organizations as well. I would be happy to help start a conversation with him for our organization if you would like."

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Can anyone tell me if it should be an absolute for the right foot (rh thrower) to pivot all the way sideways. I was thinking it was based on the fact that baseball pitchers start like that and I would think it gives you more separation between throw shoulder and and hip rotation. But I just watched a very old video of Candrea preaching 45 degrees and a few of the higher level throwers (60+ post college players) I've been videotaping are more at a 45. I don't know if they were taught that 45, or never corrected it, or if it's not an absolute. Or maybe I'm just wrong and it's suppose to be at a 45.

Here's the link of Candrea: https://youtu.be/fB6-_rRxMVE?t=332
Note that he puts their back foot at a 45 but the athlete automatically turns it more once she gets ready to throw.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Hi Amy,

I watched the video. I'd suggest trying out this technique on fixing Hand-Break Timing: https://youtu.be/hSQYrW1r3dI

When the hands break (and getting the hips closed--perpendicular--to the target) are critical points in the throwing motion. The young lady in the video has her hips rotated toward her target much too soon, which is a problem that starts with how early her hands break, and how she strides. The video link above explains a good bit of it. Let me know if it helps you.

Nov 30, 2018
Hi Rosey!

I'm Dan, and I own a baseball & softball academy in Illinois. I work with a lot of throwers from both sports.

Your observations are good - the player he's working with pivots her feet as soon as she starts to move...because what he's teaching doesn't make much sense and goes against natural hip anatomy.

The way baseball pitchers throw is pretty much optimal - they're the hardest throwing human beings on earth, and zero of them throw with their foot at 45 degrees like that (I've never seen a single player do that naturally).

I teach players to simply point their ankle bone to their target, and this video explains some of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDmH43QZhy4

I'm not really sure where some of the many softball throwing myths come from. The player in the video is demonstrating pretty suspect form, and the positions the coach puts her in basically don't exist anywhere in baseball at any position, nor do elite softball throwers throw that way. You're doing a good job being skeptical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802