Fixing the overhand throw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
was working with my daughters pitching coach and i asked about her overhand throws during warmups. he recommended the common glove pointing to target then slamming glove back to chest (elbow now pointed out) as you rotate shoulders and following thru with throw.

I asked Austin Wasserman about this recently, here is his reponse:

Lead arm integrity and movement will be determined by the situation, play, intensity, direction etc. The lead arm must fold, clear, pull in order to allow trunk rotation to occur. Catchers and infielders will have a tighter, shorter lead arm movement, where pitchers and outfielders will have a more exaggerated pull/fold towards the rib cage/ or hip. Just depends on intensity, play, direction the athlete is throwing etc.

If you tuck your glove, this inhibits trunk rotation, which then also inhibits velocity and forces the posterior rotator cuff to work harder. Trunk rotation is critical for youth athletes as their posterior cuff is weak to begin with and we need to train them to move efficiently, without restrictions. Tucking the glove directly restricts an athlete.

Of course, if the arm swings fully out to the side and the athlete does not have quality command, this has to be worked on. Observe first, see if it's an issue, and then apply a change.

Aug 12, 2014
I'm coaching a 10U rec team and I am using some of Wasserman's drills. We start every practice with the water bottle and do a couple of others. We're about 6 weeks in and it really seems to be working. With 10 year olds it's always a struggle, but I'm seeing some really good progress.

Jul 14, 2018
Mods: This is a hugely valuable thread thanks to the on-topic posts that FiveFrameSwing has contributed. Can we nominate it to be a 'Sticky' on the coaching forum? Or maybe create one that's slimmed down with just the relevant info?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I avoided this thread because of the topic discussed and the fact that poor advice is way too common when it comes to throwing. However, FFS makes some excellent points. And I second the advice that others have offered concerning Austin Wasserman. His stuff is the best available, in my opinion.

Jul 16, 2018
Lead arm integrity and movement will be determined by the situation, play, intensity, direction etc. The lead arm must fold, clear, pull in order to allow trunk rotation to occur. Catchers and infielders will have a tighter, shorter lead arm movement, where pitchers and outfielders will have a more exaggerated pull/fold towards the rib cage/ or hip. Just depends on intensity, play, direction the athlete is throwing etc.

If you tuck your glove, this inhibits trunk rotation, which then also inhibits velocity and forces the posterior rotator cuff to work harder. Trunk rotation is critical for youth athletes as their posterior cuff is weak to begin with and we need to train them to move efficiently, without restrictions. Tucking the glove directly restricts an athlete.

Of course, if the arm swings fully out to the side and the athlete does not have quality command, this has to be worked on. Observe first, see if it's an issue, and then apply a change.

Question on this and please FiveFrame (or anyone else)

Specific to when we my gals get a little further back I notice some arm stoppage and I try to at least tell them to think about following through (right hand/left knee) or even "Pick up the $" ala Lincecum. Put i've also added in the "Elbow me in the stomach like I was an attacker" with their glove side.

Reading the quote above - I might rethink my approach. but any suggestions?

Added a clip from July of this year of her throwing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vezrb7e5UsQ

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
Question on this and please FiveFrame (or anyone else)

Specific to when we my gals get a little further back I notice some arm stoppage and I try to at least tell them to think about following through (right hand/left knee) or even "Pick up the $" ala Lincecum. Put i've also added in the "Elbow me in the stomach like I was an attacker" with their glove side.

Reading the quote above - I might rethink my approach. but any suggestions?

Added a clip from July of this year of her throwing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vezrb7e5UsQ

Will try and add more later - but it may be a delay mechanism to allow her body to catch up. It looks like she transfers up by her shoulder - which means her throwing arm is basically cocked and ready, but has to wait for the rest of her body to “load”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA

Did you get any information on why he thinks that tucking the glove restricts truck rotation? I don't feel a restriction when I retract my glove arm/tuck my glove and I don't see any restriction in my players who do it. Perhaps it is the angle of the upper arm relative to the torso that he sees and creating a restriction and I have/teach a different angle? I definitely see the glove arm enhancing trunk rotation, not restricting it. A thrower doesn't have to go full point glove at target, pull to chest. That is inefficient and maybe the glove into the chest is what Wasserman is saying restricts rotation. You certainly don't see any MLB pitcher who just drop their glove arm to their side. They get some amount of rotational enhancement form the glove side.

Oct 4, 2018
Ruh Roh...

I've coached a few rec 10U teams and am now AC on the 10U Travel team, where most girls are 9. We do wrist flicks and "ball to the wall". I know the game and techniques have changed since I was a player 30 years ago, and I'm very open to using the best/newest methods to teach girls proper technique to improve their game and keep them healthy.

Not sure where to even start on this one. Probably need to consult with HC.

What exactly is the water drill? I see examples of people throwing with the bottle, but what's the actual drill part? And is that the best place to start?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Ruh Roh...

What exactly is the water drill? I see examples of people throwing with the bottle, but what's the actual drill part? And is that the best place to start?

I recommend buying Wasserman's book if you want to learn. I studied and learned a little bit about it from his free videos/books and on this forum, but the book has so much more to it. If you can make it to one of his clinic's it is even better and he usually gives out a 50% off coupon for those at the clinic. You can get his ebook of his website. www.highlevelthrowing.com

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ruh Roh...

I've coached a few rec 10U teams and am now AC on the 10U Travel team, where most girls are 9. We do wrist flicks and L-drill stuff. I know the game and techniques have changed since I was a player 30 years ago, and I'm very open to using the best/newest methods to teach girls proper technique to improve their game and keep them healthy.

Not sure where to even start on this one. Probably need to consult with HC.

Water bottle drill...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEvlz5WI4Q4&index=5&t=0s&list=PLLo_t691U8DU0KOJlBAd6fFj0a2tbPEk3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un8inw4Ry_Q&index=5&list=PLLo_t691U8DU0KOJlBAd6fFj0a2tbPEk3

This one can also be very useful...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m71hUmU42mA&list=PLLo_t691U8DU0KOJlBAd6fFj0a2tbPEk3&index=3

The best thing to do is educate yourself properly with Wasserman's e-book (see lancer360's post). This will be some of the best money you've spent on improving your coaching knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802