Fixing sprinters posture using the foot hyperarch mechanic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
To all,

Just keep in mind that testing out the HA mechanic will only be effective if you are properly using it.

Take for example running on the ball of the feet...

Before HA, I was in a dialogue with the writer of a couple popular books on jumping and explosiveness. Over the net, he did a full physical evaluation of DD by reviewing several videos of her doing various stretches and movements. His assesment was that there was no physical issues preventing glute mechanics. Among other things, he recommended that she do some light running on the ball of her feet. She did it several times over the weeks, and there was no real change for her. She just went from running with terrible form to running with terrible form on her toes.

In the videos of using HA, she is running on the ball of her feet and it looks great. She now has springs in her feet. However she was not intentionally running on the ball of her feet. She was simiply running with HA engaged, and being on the ball of her feet was the result of running with HA.

Knightsb, to be clear the comment below is not directed at you in anyway, it's just the perfect place for it...

The example above exemplifies the importance of understand true cause and effect of movement patterns. Our goal should be to coach students to teach/fix the causes that generate desireable effects. If we are not careful, we can easily teach kids to mimick effects without generating or fixing the underlying cause...

Afterwhich it will become even harder to teach/fix the cause since the change in the effect will have become less obvious.

Effects are often surface details. Causes are often only seen under the hood.

Mar 9, 2015
Good stuff j.
Have you studied Abbott's drive/push pattern.....she gets just about the most significant brush interference of any pitchers I've video'd......and her offset timing is amazing which IMO is one of the keys to her speed.
I've been doing a drill I call "Quick Sprinters Split Jump Drive"....it does basically what you are describing. I've seen some nice speed improvements with kids who are diligent in performing the drill in their practices.

Is there a YouTube link available for this split jump drill? I think this would benefit my DD.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Interest is significantly peaked. as with anything, I will need to dive in.
Wondering if there are benefits or issues for those with feet that probate.

Thanks for sharing.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Great thread and information. Looking forward to learning more on this since I think it pertains to issue within my daughters mechanics.

May 3, 2014
I strongly suggest starting plyo hops using the HA. You will start to feel the spring if you keep the HA - if you don't you will feel your knees. Then split the hop so you land as a sprinter would (or pitcher) and hop back out of it.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Xie discusses running.

How to Run with Engaged Glutes using Hyperarch Mechanism:

Great posts knightsb! I had watched this video before, but a comment that he made just hit me...

Relax your knees forward...... The glutes will raise your heel...

In my early experiments with my family. My wife was a very improtant contributor as she was always very athletic and uses her posterior well. Whenever she would squat down, her heels would pull off of the floor. She couldn't begin to understand how DD and I could squat all the way down with our feet flat on the ground, but that was just naturally how we did it.

This might be another litmus test to see where you stand with regard to HA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802