First year 14u Tee Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I agree with what has been said about the coil aspect, The only thing that I would add is the flat barrel setup by the hand set. JMO she would benefit by bringing the hands a little lower and having a more vertical barrel. To me that would help with the over rotation aspect of her swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
interesting, I admit I was probably the source of trying to rotate more to clear the inside and get the best part of the barrel on the ball. The center of the ball is directly above the black on the inside of the plate.

And for whatever reason, she's always been a no step (SMALL step) swing kid. Don't know if its the average speed that she's facing (faced) being high, but it is what it is.

It seems like I need to revisit the no stride thread from a while ago..

No stride is fine, but you still have to have coil and create stretch in the body.

Also...shortening the stride, or going to no-stride, as a way of handling faster pitching is a misguided approach. Rushing/shortening the pre-launch sequence isn't really speeding up the swing. A better approach is to start the pre-launch stuff earlier and slower.

Oct 2, 2017
No stride is fine, but you still have to have coil and create stretch in the body.

Also...shortening the stride, or going to no-stride, as a way of handling faster pitching is a misguided approach. Rushing/shortening the pre-launch sequence isn't really speeding up the swing. A better approach is to start the pre-launch stuff earlier and slower.

Agree with this^^^^. Personally, I feel that while there is nothing wrong with a no stride approach, or short stride, It is a harder athletic move to perform coil properly. Starting pre-launch sequence earlier following by a stride is a more natural, way to let the body sequence work.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
hmm, definitely seeing the missing coil in tee work. I just uploaded her latest swing from last weekend (oct 6) and the lack of coil is definitely there in the live as well. Gotta work on that and seems simple enough without being disruptive to the rest of the swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Her movements look somewhat better than the tee swing, but she could definitely benefit from a better coil and getting into her scap more.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

True, but it wasn't an approach.. long long ago she started as an all backwards all forewards swing.. her comfortable adjustment was a near no stride. She's stayed with that and is very stubborn about changing it.

What I've been trying to work on is the standing upright, sudden crouch into the pre swing load. Too much movement in too short of a time. I've often cited to her your mantra of slow start fast finish (or something like that)..

These videos and dialogs remind me that I'd like to still focus of the coil.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Note the placement of the tee, in relation to what type of swing is being produced. It is not optimal and can be misleading.

I think you're referencing the relatively flat swing because of the high and inside tee location? If not could you clarify??

May 24, 2013
So Cal
True, but it wasn't an approach.. long long ago she started as an all backwards all forewards swing.. her comfortable adjustment was a near no stride. She's stayed with that and is very stubborn about changing it.

What I've been trying to work on is the standing upright, sudden crouch into the pre swing load. Too much movement in too short of a time. I've often cited to her your mantra of slow start fast finish (or something like that)..

These videos and dialogs remind me that I'd like to still focus of the coil.

Her tee swing still has strong remnants of an all-back/all-forward pattern.

Take a look at what Maddie's rear elbow is doing. The rearward "poke" is a result of scap retraction. Along with a better coil move, try to get that kind of scap action happening, too.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
L
I think you're referencing the relatively flat swing because of the high and inside tee location? If not could you clarify??

High inside tee position DEEP will have a push look. In a toss swing the body will have time to position itself and hit the ball more out front with better positioning etc etc.

Your dds movements aren’t bad. Just need to fix her posture a bit. I believe you will get a better load in all three planes of motion which will open up quite a few things in your dds sequence. Bigger timing window, better rhythm as well as contact points deep and out front.

I don’t think you NEED to coil, I think it will be the result once you fix her posture.

Added: coil is the forerunner to the loading of the core indirectly. More is not better. Some is needed though, especially for kids who can’t control their bodies fully and are still developing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee