First Travel Ball Tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
Just happened to come across a flyer for a 10u travel ball team near us having open tryouts tomorrow. I asked my DD if she wanted to try out and she said yes. I have never watched any travel ball to know how she compares. She is above average in rec ball which can be pretty competitive. I guess we will find out tomorrow. Talked to the head coach on the phone tonight and got the info on practice schedules, dues, etc. Any advice or questions we should ask tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2013
All I can say is, Hold on... life is about to change. LOL If she's bit by the bug, she'll find a team in short order. Say bye bye to family vacations, and basically anything you wanted to purchase for yourself over the next 10 years. :D Enjoy the ride though, it's over before you know it!

Apr 30, 2018
All I can say is, Hold on... life is about to change. LOL If she's bit by the bug, she'll find a team in short order. Say bye bye to family vacations, and basically anything you wanted to purchase for yourself over the next 10 years. :D Enjoy the ride though, it's over before you know it!
I wish we had multiple teams to pick from. Small town so this is the only one close by.

Jul 3, 2013
Our TB journey started at at the same time. But we pushed her to try out. How far away are your other options? If it's more than two hours away, my advice is to join the local TB team. Play an entire season before you make any decision about how things worked out. After the season is over, talk it over with DD and other parent. Move on from there. It's very possible that that you'll be willing to travel further after you get a taste of the softball life.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Most of the questions you need answered will only come from playing on the team. Will DD get the opportunity to play/learn multiple positions? Does the coach have the ability to teach basic fundamentals, field/catch/throw/hit? Is the coach more concerned with winning, or making ALL of his/her players better? At 10U, playing two tournaments a month is plenty, IMO. Practicing two to three times a week is more important.

You can ask some of these questions at the tryout, but it’s easy for coaches to give the “right” answers at the time.

Apr 30, 2018
This team practices twice a week, Wednesday and Sunday. Kind of like only one practice on week night. They like to average two tournaments a month. They have had 11 girls on the team, but he wants to go with 12 girls this spring.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama

No you still get vacations. Of course they are the $6,000 dollar ones to Colorado or SoCal interrupted by softball games instead of the Bahamas. You also get to buy yourself stuff but that's because you find gizmos that make you life easier at the ball park.

Seriously good luck and like others will say enjoy the ride. It flies by and I am in shock that DD#1 is a sophomore. On the positive side for all you give up you get so much in return. My family has been places we wouldn't have gone without softball. We have made friends with so many people that have had impacts on our life not to mention my DD's. This past summer alone our family saw 15 states because of this game (Road trip to Colorado to see things going and coming helped).

Aug 18, 2018
First good luck. My DD is the same age and we just started on a 10u team this fall. Great experience. When we went to try outs I was focused on how the coaches interacted with players. Was it more instructional, motivational, tone... after the try outs had discussion with DD for her thoughts on coaches, did she like the interactions, positives, negatives.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Feb 26, 2018
I suppose my only concern would be playing time if they already have 11 girls on the team and are looking to add a 12th. I get having that buffer for injuries, vacations, etc., but hopefully the coach is good about rotating the girls in. At 10U and 12U it's all about playing time and development. Like everyone else said, it's a fun ride, I'm only 3 years in and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28