First pitch strikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2013
Ha. Interesting I was just looking at our team stats. My daughter has 67% first pitch strikes. Those results have lead to 68% of those at bats leads to an out, 4.8% walks, and 20% a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
I just checked and mine is at 60% this year (fall and spring). She's 9 and a first year pitcher. That seems decent?

Oct 21, 2015
My dds team plays 14 u and they are coached to go up looking for the first pitch to be a strike. A lot of times it's the best pitch they will see .

Apr 25, 2010
Good luck with getting an anwser to that.

Younger ages the ball is not going over the fence so get the batter behind if you can, especially with 2 outs.

What do you consider younger ages? Around here, it's not unheard of for 10u's to be hitting the ball out. By 12u, it's relatively common. It slows down a bit at 16u as the pitching is more "mature", but still happens a fair bit.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
What do you consider younger ages? Around here, it's not unheard of for 10u's to be hitting the ball out. By 12u, it's relatively common. It slows down a bit at 16u as the pitching is more "mature", but still happens a fair bit.

Just curious - how far are the fences where these 10Us are hitting them over? I've certainly seen my fair share of "no fence" 10U home runs at various "fields"...but in 15 odd years at the league DD started at, the 10Us play on a field with 180 ft fences and I've never seen a 10U hit it out.

Not saying it can't happen but if you have 10Us hitting bombs on a regulation field, they really need to play up.

Apr 25, 2010
Like I said, it's not unheard of. Not extremely common, but not unheard of. My oldest DD (now 25) hit 2 out during her 10yo rec state tournament. That being said, she was never a small girl. Always tall and strong. But I would say these are the exception rather than the rule. I only say it because it's not like it NEVER happens. And I have no idea the fence distance. Seems like everywhere my kids have ever played have had different fences. My 16yo plays on a high school field with a 425' fence. Ain't nobody hitting over that thing.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just curious - how far are the fences where these 10Us are hitting them over? I've certainly seen my fair share of "no fence" 10U home runs at various "fields"...but in 15 odd years at the league DD started at, the 10Us play on a field with 180 ft fences and I've never seen a 10U hit it out.

Not saying it can't happen but if you have 10Us hitting bombs on a regulation field, they really need to play up.

Not common, but I have seen it from the early maturing girls at 10U. There is one now in South Florida who has 5 or 6 this year over 200' fences. Big strong girl with a really good looking swing.

The one girl I saw do it when my DD was in 10U is still the exact same size she was back then and she can no longer do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee