First offer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD played in her first California showcase of the season and after her last game was approached by a JC coach from Alabama. He asked that Mom and I join the conversation and after a long discussion he offered her a very good package.

I gotta tell you; it is AWESOME that there is a back up plan of there are no offers from a 4 year college.

Apr 6, 2012
It is very exciting to know that someone wants your kid to play softball for them and that they are interested in giving her tuition, etc. Those first few offers are fun to get. Just keep your ( and her ) head in the game and make sure that when she picks, it's a school she loves, academics she wants, and a team/program that she will enjoy being in.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Thanks Atlantabell! She still has her #1 choice that can't even talk to her until this July.

She knows what she wants and was excited to get this offer, the school offers the academics and small class size that she wants.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
Congrats! I dream of that day...if we're ever approached by a college. What an exciting time for she and your family. Best of luck!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Congratulations! How old is your DD? My DD is first year 14U and some of the 'intense' parents on our team want to start playing showcases next season (second year 14U). While I would love to do it if they are convenient, just curious how much of a benefit it would be at 14U vs. waiting until 16U to spend the money to go to California or other locations that require a plane ticket!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
DD played in her first California showcase of the season and after her last game was approached by a JC coach from Alabama. He asked that Mom and I join the conversation and after a long discussion he offered her a very good package.

I gotta tell you; it is AWESOME that there is a back up plan of there are no offers from a 4 year college.

Congrats!!! Our first offer was from a JC too, I was so happy you would think DD had been called up to play for the Cardinals. And yes, we are keeping that back up plan just in case.

Never shut a college door when they are interested in your kid. No matter what level.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Thank you all for your congratulations and support.

GOINGDEEP: I know what you mean! I don't know who was more excited, me or DD!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Congratulations! How old is your DD? My DD is first year 14U and some of the 'intense' parents on our team want to start playing showcases next season (second year 14U). While I would love to do it if they are convenient, just curious how much of a benefit it would be at 14U vs. waiting until 16U to spend the money to go to California or other locations that require a plane ticket!

DD is 16 and will be a senior in HS next year. As far as playing showcases, I see nothing wrong with it, but don't go spending a pile of money on them (Travelling to different states), 14U is still a little young unless DD is a REAL STUD PITCHER! DD started playing on an 18 Gold team last spring (15 years old) and didn't really start getting looks until the fall. The team plays in many of the BIG SHOWCASES in Colorado and in Huntington Beach. DD is considered a stud here locally (60+mph pitcher) but in SoCal she isn't a REAL STUD compared to some of the other kids showcasing there.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Coach-n-dad

Ours are exactly the same age, 16 and will be a senior next year. One thing I have noticed this year is One year can be a big difference in pitching at the later teen years. ( jmo - I'm sure others feel differently )

I tracked most of the stats of the top pitchers in our state cause that's what crazy pitchers dads do. And the top 5 are all seniors, except one. ( era and k's vs innings ) And that seems to be the norm from previous years too. Some state and nationally ranked pitchers ( juniors in 2011 ) were further down the list last year compared to them in 2012.

DD averages 7 k's a game regular season and tourneys, which sounds great to me. Then you have a couple we saw at state that average 12-14 k's during the regular season and even still averaged 7-8 in state playoffs. That's amazing, because we were probably on the lower end of hitting ( with a younger group ) out scored opponents 288-141 ( season stats ) and the state studs were still striking out some of our line up. And the senior pitchers were K-ing the powerhouse hitting teams too.

I know TN is different because we recruit a lot of girls from within the state, so a small % of TB teams hit the huge exposers. ( hard to justify spending tons of $$$ when the girls get some really good offers in house )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28