First game of “Spring”?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We played our first game and didn't do well but it was in the low 40s so we could play. The next day, it was 32 degrees when we started practice and I was a little cold. We had a normal practice and experienced a heat wave as it was 43 when we finished practice. I HATE SWEATING AND THEN STANDING THERE COACHING THIS TIME OF YEAR. 30s and 30 mph wind tomorrow so we will not play and we will practice inside.

Jan 8, 2019
Just add some field conditioner and give it a good drag.

Hope your field has good drainage for when it melts!

May 27, 2022
As I have said before, Summer Softball (May/June/July) in Iowa is frustrating (should be in the fall), but much better than spring ball for this latitude.

Apr 1, 2017
As I have said before, Summer Softball (May/June/July) in Iowa is frustrating (should be in the fall), but much better than spring ball for this latitude.
Spring is definitely frustrating in northern IL. However, all spring sport seasons start basically March 1st, so I understand why softball coaches/schools schedule games starting a couple weeks later. You'd hate to have no games scheduled all March, and then get a good weather year and only be practicing. But, most of the pre-highschool age travel teams don't even start scheduling games around here until April, even mid April.

My daughters school was 0-4 at getting games in this week (almost played 1). We'll see moving forward.

Jul 14, 2018
First full day of HS tryouts in NJ yesterday (3/16) and it was sunny and high 50’s in South Jersey. Pitchers and catchers were stuck in the gym for the first three days, but Mother Nature smiled on the full team and gave them a beautiful afternoon to kick things off.

Good luck to all trying out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Spring is definitely frustrating in northern IL. However, all spring sport seasons start basically March 1st, so I understand why softball coaches/schools schedule games starting a couple weeks later. You'd hate to have no games scheduled all March, and then get a good weather year and only be practicing. But, most of the pre-highschool age travel teams don't even start scheduling games around here until April, even mid April.

My daughters school was 0-4 at getting games in this week (almost played 1). We'll see moving forward.

Last year was the first year I scheduled no games the first week we could play because we never actually get to play those games, and it was beautiful the entire week.

So naturally I scheduled 3 last week and we didn't play any of them.

Playing today though. We might get four varsity games in this week, though Thursday and Friday could be a little rough.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Many years back I was coaching a JV team and in March our field looked like those pictured ... The Varsity Coach (X HS ball player currently an overmatched History Teacher) hatches a plan for the athletes to shovel the ball field ... I did ask her if she had ever shoveled a driveway and some other obvious questions that would hopefully enlighten her that this would not be a good use of practice time or an effective method of snow removal ... Alas, my words fell of deaf ears and I had to spend 15 minutes of the next day watching 21 girls watch 3 girls with snow shovels get frustrated accomplishing nada ... After talking with the JV Team later, we decided that shoveling the batting cage was more realistic plan and we attacked that the next day and had a good, albeit chili BP. As I remember, the snow eventually melted.

I did however hear a story of a coach that owned a snow removal business and had a skid steer with a large snow blower on it that was able to clear a field.

In Maine, the DD's REC Slow Pitch teams usually have a tourny on a snowy weekend, lining the fields with blue paint and soaking their livers with adult beverages.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802