First day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Since she is new start working on what to do with the glove. Just like in over hand throw letting that glove fly out pulls her shoulder out of position. Accuracy killer.

Good point, You don't see it in that video. But the others I had her alternate between over hand throw and underhand, to try and have feel how much they are alike, glove hand and all.

With dd once she started controlling her glove (she tucks it back to belly button for defensive purposes). She could hit any spot however it cost her about 4 mph. But now no more walks. As she got taller and stronger speed has increased again. I just wish we had focused more on that in beginning because a swimming glove is a hard habit to break.

Nov 8, 2018
With dd once she started controlling her glove (she tucks it back to belly button for defensive purposes). She could hit any spot however it cost her about 4 mph. But now no more walks. As she got taller and stronger speed has increased again. I just wish we had focused more on that in beginning because a swimming glove is a hard habit to break.

Glove hand is so important. Yeah it can kill some speed but have her use it to generate speed. The harder it comes down with the throw the harder dd will throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Does using this instruction ever result in the pitcher developing a "glove slap" against the leg?

It does not have to. Mine does not. I don’t like the glove slap. Creates timing for the batter.
If you squeeze the elbows down into the sides you can avoid glove slap. Some tuck it into the stomach. It depends. But. You don’t have to have glove slap and use the glove arm to an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Looks great for early in her pitching career.

When you're in the kitchen before dinner, hand her a dish towel (we all have one draped over the kitchen cupboard below the sink, right?) and have her practice whipping the towel. It's a good movement to get the feel of what "Whip it" means.

Oct 2, 2017
Looks great for early in her pitching career.

When you're in the kitchen before dinner, hand her a dish towel (we all have one draped over the kitchen cupboard below the sink, right?) and have her practice whipping the towel. It's a good movement to get the feel of what "Whip it" means.
Thanks for tips. Today she did a little better at being relaxed. Performed the 9 O'clock drill. Then mainly played catch. Focusing on just letting the arm release and come through. Then to keep it fun we did as dneeld suggested. She fielded the ball and threw underhand. She had a blast doing that.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Thanks for tips. Today she did a little better at being relaxed. Performed the 9 O'clock drill. Then mainly played catch. Focusing on just letting the arm release and come through. Then to keep it fun we did as dneeld suggested. She fielded the ball and threw underhand. She had a blast doing that.

Whether just throwing or working on full pitch mechanics, I truly do believe you need to make sure of brush. This is relevant at any age of pitching. Read the BI sticky (again if needed). My cue to DD was 'throw from pocket'. Your DD is releasing at or in front of front hip. There needs to be brush and ball release at rear hip. I would try to engrain that first. If at any point, the arm moves away from the side and BI is lost, then you lose effectiveness in the pitch. This can be accomplished with lock it in, all the way to full pitch. All the other actions, motions, and mechanics taught on this site are still relevant for sure, but without the BI, it will not be elite and will allow for better control earlier in the learning process. Sluggers posted something I think in another thread mentioning if a college coach did not see this attribute in a pitcher, then they will pass on them. That statement to me describes the importance of BI. JMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802