First Base Orange/White

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Re: Squirt G fastpitch softball
Can someone please let me know.........
If a batter runs to first base, through the orange, turns into foul territory and an overthrow occurs with the ball staying "in play", does that runner now have to tag the white before proceeding to try advancing to second base? Thanks

Also, in the CASA rule book for rule 1, Sec. 2 (d-4 Attempting to advance to second base after making a turn at first base). Could someone clarify that appeal play?

If the top part of this two part question is no they don't then I don't really understand the second half regarding the appeal play. Unless it's a coach trying to say, no the runner did an about-face to come back to first and never turned into fair territory for the tag-called out.?

thanks,

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Re: Squirt G fastpitch softball
Can someone please let me know.........
If a batter runs to first base, through the orange, turns into foul territory and an overthrow occurs with the ball staying "in play", does that runner now have to tag the white before proceeding to try advancing to second base? Thanks

At 1B, based on what you posted here, no.

Also, in the CASA rule book for rule 1, Sec. 2 (d-4 Attempting to advance to second base after making a turn at first base). Could someone clarify that appeal play?

If the top part of this two part question is no they don't then I don't really understand the second half regarding the appeal play. Unless it's a coach trying to say, no the runner did an about-face to come back to first and never turned into fair territory for the tag-called out.?

thanks,

In ASA, (not sure about CASA) the direction of the turn after running through 1B is irrelevant when it comes to an appeal play or whether the player is in jeopardy of being put out. The runner can only be put out if, in the umpire's judgment, there was an attempt to advance to 2B. Note that an "attempt" can range from a dip of the inside shoulder to a full-scale turn toward the base.