First aid and injury protocols on travel teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
I'm a pediatrician and carry a beyond extensive first aid kit everywhere, but our coaches carry a small basic kit when I'm not there as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ang, what do you carry in your kit? Is it a stock kit or did you build it yourself?

Apr 20, 2015
I built it myself it's quite extensive. Tylenol, motrin, benadryl, alcohol wipes, wound cleansing wipes, gauze, bandages, bandaids, steri strips, maxi pads both for girlie needs and as bandages, ice packs, pre wrap, coban, pre wrap, sterile splinter removers great for evacuating a finger tip hematoma from a mis thrown ball, ace wraps, hydrocortisone cream, antibiotic cream, bio freeze packets, deodorant, saline for rinsing wounds and eyes, and I'm sure a few other things that I've forgotten. I don't carry sutures because I don't think I could get something clean enough and I'm not going to suture without lidocaine and I don't carry glue for the same reason but rarely have I not had what I need. I always check with parents before giving meds or anything like that but our team has been together for a long time so they're usually looking for me.

May 28, 2014
In our rec league , all coaches are issued a basic first aid kit and a hand full of ice packs. If they use any of the items they can replenish them from a larger kit located in the concession stand of the main fields. We however, do not do basic first aid training, which I think I'm going to push to implement this year.

For the Travel team, the coach normally has a basic first aid kit. My wife brings a more robust kit a lot more of the misc stuff like saline, and wraps. I am also an EMT, so I have a BLS jump bag and trauma kit with me (in my vehicle) at all times.

Jan 8, 2019
I built it myself it's quite extensive. Tylenol, motrin, benadryl, alcohol wipes, wound cleansing wipes, gauze, bandages, bandaids, steri strips, maxi pads both for girlie needs and as bandages, ice packs, pre wrap, coban, pre wrap, sterile splinter removers great for evacuating a finger tip hematoma from a mis thrown ball, ace wraps, hydrocortisone cream, antibiotic cream, bio freeze packets, deodorant, saline for rinsing wounds and eyes, and I'm sure a few other things that I've forgotten. I don't carry sutures because I don't think I could get something clean enough and I'm not going to suture without lidocaine and I don't carry glue for the same reason but rarely have I not had what I need. I always check with parents before giving meds or anything like that but our team has been together for a long time so they're usually looking for me.

Wow! Thank you/! For some reason, the thing that jumped out at me most was the deodorant? Probably the only one I've heard carry that, but I get it, I think. I built my own kit, but I'm not in med field, just basic first aid. I have much the same, but need to add a few thing you mentioned. My biggest issue is remembering what I have in there and where it is to get to it fast, and if it's not me getting it out, the only thing the parents can find is the cold packs. I had to create a sub kit in there to hold the frequently used bandaids, wipes, Neosporin, etc. I also added a few SAM splints for fingers, and one bigger one.

Knock on wood that the kit will keep mostly gathering dust.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45