Finished HS Career

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
My youngest recently finished her HS career (oldest has one year of college left). It's going to be tough not having skin in the game for our HS team anymore. I looked through our team records back to 2007 and she had a pretty good career...
- 100 Hits / 100 RBI Club
- #1 in Caught Stealing and 2nd in CS %
- Top 5 in Fld%, PO
- Top 5 in BA, SLG, Hits
- Top 10 in HR, OBP

She benefitted from lettering for 5 years and starting for 4 (although not uncommon in our sized school).

It was fun while it lasted and she was fortunate enough to see good results for all the hours and hours and hours she put into her craft. But, at the end of the story, the lessons learned for her (and her parents ;)) will serve her well. When it goes well, it's exhilarating to behold. When it isn't, it is torture to endure and to find the right way to provide support.

Going to miss working out and working with her. To all of you that have years of watching your DD play, best of luck! Enjoy it. Celebrate the successes, embrace the challenges and I hope you get out of softball what your meant to.

May 21, 2015
South
I also miss "having skin in the game". My DD graduated college in 2020 and did not come back for her Covid year because of career goals. I miss the games and chance to front toss her more than you can imagine. My message is to enjoy every minute of the ride because it ends too soon. I still vividly remember watching the news on March 13, 2020 and realizing the softball ride was over for my DD.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This game takes us places we never thought possible. We laugh, We cry, we shed blood! It's a roller coaster ride that we share as a family but that bond with our softball DD's is different. Softball is just a game right? Yes. but it's teaches so many life lessons. DD was on a zoom call yesterday for her internship in her make shift workspace in the living room. I listened for a bit as I slinked by to get some water. Later she told me it was an interview for a permanent position after graduation. She told me the $$$$ amount she was asking for and nearly fell over. Wow, that's ambitious! I was actually proud she had the cajones, courage and confidence to believe in herself to ask for what she wants. I can't help but think softball helped her in this interview. Lots of experience dealing with older people along the way.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My oldest finished her HS career in May and is off the college in a month. My youngest has two more years of HS ball, and then she's off to college. It's scary how fast it goes. It seems like just yesterday she brought home the LL flyer from school and said, "Dad, can I try softball?"

If I only knew then what I know now...

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
317 Ks with one year left. Missed one year due to covid. Should hit the #400 mark should she decide to play next year.

May 27, 2013
Such a great post!

I agree - what they get out of playing a team sport is worth all of the time, effort, and money. Thanks to softball dd was able to get into a fantastic college and also helped her land the internship this summer she needed so post-college, she won’t have to take a gap year to get the required hours she needs to apply to grad school. The doors opened have been amazing!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Congrats to your DD, Agcy!

Similarly, my DD was the starting C on her Varsity HS team for all 4 years, and pretty clearly the best player on the team for all those years (says more about the level of the team than anything else). Her senior-season stats were ridiculous. Tomorrow, she starts the final tournament of her 10-year softball career. In about a week from now, everything changes for our entire family. Since she decided not to play college ball, this is closing the door on a very big chapter of her life. We have been doing a lot of reminiscing about the journey - people, places, events, and other shared memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28