Finish Inning vs Finish Batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2021
Except the coaches didnt assume anything. They were directly told what the rules were going to be. The umpires even acknowledged that the way they were playing was different than the printed rules. This "mistake" is not the fault of the coach.

I disagree at that a point the tournament director should have been contacted. Coaches assume responsibility for the whole team if rules "change" at the last minute, better to get clarification than go with what is said. As home team the coach can choose to not throw first pitch until the clarification is made even if it would waste time better safe than sorry. Crappy situation just one of those we can all learn from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2019
I guess I must be missing something here - but I doubt it. After 20 years of coaching travel softball, and 15 years of umpiring fast pitch tournaments both before and after my coaching career, I have NEVER seen a tournament that counted runs that were scored in an incomplete inning due to a time limit that didn’t permit the inning to continue to its conclusion. If you go into a new inning with a 3-0 lead, regardless of Home or Away, and you don’t COMPLETE the inning, the score goes into the tournament director’s book as 3-0, regardless of how many runs were scored by either of the teams.

Aug 3, 2019
The inning was completed. Team B scored 3 runs in bottom of 5th and the 3rd out was then recorded, thus completing the 5th inning.

The issue that arose was that TD decided after the game ended that drop dead rules were in place and should have been enforced by ending the game at the 1:15 mark, at which point the score was 3-2.

Jul 22, 2015
I guess I must be missing something here - but I doubt it. After 20 years of coaching travel softball, and 15 years of umpiring fast pitch tournaments both before and after my coaching career, I have NEVER seen a tournament that counted runs that were scored in an incomplete inning due to a time limit that didn’t permit the inning to continue to its conclusion. If you go into a new inning with a 3-0 lead, regardless of Home or Away, and you don’t COMPLETE the inning, the score goes into the tournament director’s book as 3-0, regardless of how many runs were scored by either of the teams.
Just goes to show you we all see different rules. My dd finished 18u last year and I've never seen or coached a tournament that took away runs that were scored to revert to a previous completed inning (If I understand you correctly that's what you're saying). When we have played drop dead, finish the batter, (in pool play) the score when time expired was the final score.

Jun 7, 2019
mmeece
“Just goes to show you we all see different rules.”

Apparently so. Seems odd to me, but I guess what I’m used to seems odd to you.

RedeemerKing
I totally understand - and agree with - your frustration about being told at ground rules the time limit is one thing, then tying the game using those rules, and then being told that those are not the rules and you lost. Should never happen. My comment, however, was that under what I’ve been used to forever, which is reverting back to the last completed inning, you should have lost 3-0 instead of 3-2.

I believe all of you who say you’re used to drop dead time limits counting all runs scored up to that point. Just seems to me to be a ridiculous rule, allowing the flip of a coin to give one team scoring opportunities that very well may not be available to the other team.

Aug 17, 2019
Typically where we see drop dead and counting all runs up to that time are in showcases where the games don't really "count". In pool play of real tournaments, I have never seen drop dead except really local cheesy tournaments. Finish the inning is the usual protocol for tournament pool play that I have experienced.

Nov 18, 2013
I get a kick out of the whole “showcase games don’t count”. Even though they’re just scrimmages it doesn’t stop coaches/parents from bragging about their “wins”. Good job, you beat a big name team when they sat their girls who are already committed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28