Finish Inning vs Finish Batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
12B Saturday pool game USA Softball

Rules sent prior to tournament say finish the batter Saturday, finish the inning Sunday. 75 minutes.

At the coaches/umps meeting at the plate. Umpires say that it is finish the inning both days. “That is the way this organization always does it and that’s the way they have been doing it all day.” Both coaches say OK. Team A wins the toss and chooses home team thinking it’s now finish the inning. In hindsight, both coaches should have called the Director over at that point to clarify things but did not.

To make a long story short, team A is trailing 3-0 going to bottom 5. During bottom of 5th time expires. They play out finish the inning and team A ties the game at 3. Final out of 5th is made, game ends and both teams move on to their next game.

Director comes over to Coach A during the next game and says his team actually lost 3-2 because it was finish the batter and Team A was trailing at that specific moment.

Obviously, coach A is unhappy about the rules as explained by the umpires (which were the rules the game was indeed played under) not being honored. Notably, he argued that he wouldn’t have chosen to be home team had he not been told finish the inning was in place. Coach B obviously is pleased with the turn of events as his tie has now become a win.

Directors position is that the umpires involved were wrong and regardless of what rules the game was played under—the intended rules retroactively apply.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
TD should have properly supervised his umpire crews. In this case it certainly makes a difference in strategy and how game is played.

Oct 14, 2019
Team A should’ve hedged its bets and batted first. And scored more runs. Pretty sure Team B brought up the issue to the Tournament Director. Team. A got played.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Crappy situation. Finish batter / drop dead revert is THE worst tournament rule.

That written, in pool play, regardless of drop dead or not, always smart to be away team to mitigate damage from losses. Most seeding (after win/loss) is based on runs allowed, then runs scored, then run differential. This will favor the away team - if you are losing in the final inning, you don't have the opportunity to give up even more runs, you simply lose. Runs scored, the away team always bats in the last inning, meaning you always have the opportunity to score more runs. And run differential, same thing. Plus, if you are losing, you don't pitch the extra half inning, saving arms.

Oct 4, 2018
I always pick "guest" whenever given the choice. I like the advantages being visitor provides. But of course in "finish the batter" visitor is always the right choice.

May 1, 2018
Yeah I would have lost my stuff..... don't know if I can cuss here lol. Doesn't matter what happens after the game the Ump who ran that game said finish the inning and the game was completed as that. If they want to correct the next game that's fine but going back and changing it is out of the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812