Finding a pitching coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have seen several pitching coaches over the past 4 or so years and have developed a good idea as to what I am looking for in a coach. I even know one coach in particular that I would love to have DD work with, but I can't track her down. (DD is 9 and is ready to start pitching "seriously")

Where do you begin looking?
Open the yellow pages and look under "Pitching Instruction-Fastpitch" ?

I know one girl who has good stuff and good form and I could just ask for her instructor's contact info. But I was wondering if there is any central organization that I might be able to go to that would have info on pitching instructors in my area.

thanks.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Obbay,

IMHO, you should find a HS near you that has a successful program. That is, that regularly wins 20+ games each HS season. Go talk to that HS coach and ask him/her for recommendations.

Ray

Jul 21, 2008
Most HS coaches in my area (NC) don't have a clue about pitching mechanics, a better suggestion would be to find a good travel team coach and ask them to refer a pitching coach.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Go to a tournament with local teams and find a quality team from your area. Ask the parents. They will be able to tell you the positives and negatives of every pitching coach in the area. Then, go to another field and ask about those same names or any others that they want to mention. Soon, you'll have a long list. Then, go watch a lesson. I don't recommend that you mention that you want to see a lesson. Typically, Saturdays at various facilities are packed and so, you won't stand out too much.

A few words of caution:

• My dd started and stayed with a guy from the age of 8 to 14. She loved the guy BUT he became stagnant in his instruction for her. In other words, he didn't say much anymore. We had to go elsewhere. We still think the world of him. His feelings were hurt.
  • If you go to any instructor and the lesson your daughter is getting is the same as the person before her. Think seriously if you want to be there. I detest that. When looking for a new coach, we went to someone that had my dd do what the girl the previous hour did. I asked how this person knew my dd needed that lesson. We didn't go back.
  • Ask whichever instructor you want to go to for a free lesson. If they say no, then fine, you were going to go there anyway. The lady that my dd now goes to gave her a free lesson and filmed her. We've been very happy with her.
  • Beware of any instructor that is sitting on a bucket when the lesson begins and when it ends having never gotten up. I've seen that a lot.
  • If your dd is young, find someone that makes it fun. If your dd is old, find someone that makes it fun.
  • Find a coach that is honest with you about your dd's abilities. I don't think my dd is a pitcher beyond the high school level. Currently she is 5-2 this year and a soph. She is 16-2 for her hs career. What I've asked my dd's instructor to do is honetly let us know next year whether she is collegiate material. I believe she will be honest with us. BTW, I don't think it fair for my dd to be judged as a soph. Our schoo has had several pitchers who played other positions in college. I'm betting my dd is in that category. However, we will see.
  • Assess, ask questions, look for improvement. If that isn't happening, move on.

Well, this is a short list. I hope it helps.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
coachdan: I agree that most HS coaches don't understand pitching. In my experience, (and I was on the board of directors of a travel softball organization with 24 teams), travel ball coaches are much more ignorant about pitching than HS coaches. Why? Travel ball coaches generally only coach for a couple of years, so they don't know where good pitchers come from. (I guess they believe that they fall off turnip trucks.)

A HS coach who is consistently winning 20 games year in and year out will know which pitching coach turns out good pitchers.

Ray

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
only suggestion I have is find a coach you are comfortable with and stick to ONE. I find too many times pitchers are trying to listen to varying views of what is important mechanically and the girls get confused. (Highly agree with using Video tape and suggest that if a pitching coach is not, you highly encourage them to.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802